Call Admission Control - Network Site for Servers RRS feed

• Question

• As per http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398928.aspx? I understand that I need to add subnet or IP addresses of all Front End Servers, Edge servers Internal Interface, Survivable Branch Appliances (SBAs), Audio/Video Conferencing Servers (if in a separate pool), Mediation Servers and PSTN Gateways.

Also If one or more Edge Servers are deployed, each external interface IP address must be added to the subnet list in the network configuration settings, with a bit mask of 32.

We have all Servers in data centre, and users are on different site with varies bandwidth connection. All sites have MPLS connection to DCs.

My questions are:

1. Which site should I associate the subnet of servers?. Should I create a site for DC and associate all the server subnets to it?
    1. Then it will become like hub and spoke topology, Hub is DC and all users remote sites are spoke . I have decided bandwidth policy for all remote sites but not sure how should I design same for DC site? Any recommendation / best practice?. My concern is that DC site  will be bottle neck as all the A/V session of users between remote sites going via DC site. 

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:43 PM

Answers

• My approach would be Network sites that have good connectivity and bandwidth  with the DC could be part of Single network region site that have bandwidth constraint could be a part of different network region define  network link to connect the DC region and define cac policy on this Link 

There are mutiple ways of doing based on your network topology 

refer http://blogs.technet.com/b/nexthop/archive/2010/11/17/call-admission-control-in-lync-server-2010.aspx

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click ;Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer" Regards Edwin Anthony Joseph

Thursday, September 11, 2014 2:48 PM
    1. Define subnets for all servers, associate with Data centre site but do not apply any Bandwidth policy to it.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click ;Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer" Regards Edwin Anthony Joseph

• Marked as answer by Techiblog Monday, September 22, 2014 4:05 PM
    Monday, September 22, 2014 2:54 PM

All replies

• My approach would be Network sites that have good connectivity and bandwidth  with the DC could be part of Single network region site that have bandwidth constraint could be a part of different network region define  network link to connect the DC region and define cac policy on this Link 

There are mutiple ways of doing based on your network topology 

refer http://blogs.technet.com/b/nexthop/archive/2010/11/17/call-admission-control-in-lync-server-2010.aspx

Thursday, September 11, 2014 2:48 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Edward.

Actually, we have MPLS connectivity between all sites, hence we will create only one region so I will not be able to implement you recommended solution with 2 regions.

As my Data Centre site is the only site which is not bandwidth constraint and i do not want to restrict bandwidth on it. hence I am thinking to go for one of the following options:

1. Define subnets for all servers, associate with Data centre site and apply bandwidth policy with very high values like 1 gig. Which is technically unrestricted.

OR 

1. Define subnets for all servers, associate with Data centre site but do not apply any Bandwidth policy to it.

OR

1. Do not define subnets for all the servers.

Which one above is recommended or best practice?

Thanks for Help.

Monday, September 22, 2014 9:30 AM

• Marked as answer by Techiblog Monday, September 22, 2014 4:05 PM
    Monday, September 22, 2014 2:54 PM
  • Thank Edward
    Monday, September 22, 2014 4:05 PM