Desktop: Messy Copy/Paste of icons RRS feed

• Question

• I hope this is a new issue...

This new verison of Windows does something really different when copy and pasting icons into a new folder. Try this:

1. Create a new folder on the desktop.

2. Select a group of say 5 or so icons to copy (not too many, it might make you upset).

3. Right click on the highlighted icons and click "Copy".

4. Right click on the new folder and click "Paste".

On the PCs I've tried, the desktop not only copies the icons inside the new folder, but it also moves the icons to now surround the new folder and moves the folder, too! Why would it move the icons and folder? What a mess! It never did that in previous versions of Windows, nor does a drag and copy technique do it.

And then to complicate matters, Ctrl-Z doesn't undo it. Is this a new bug, or a new "benefit" (ugh!).

..Jim..

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What happened if you open the folder and Paste?

I tried to re-produce it and it did the same way. However, I noticed when you right click on the desktop->View, check "auto arrange icons", this won't happen again. You can use this as workaround.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Magon Liu Friday, July 2, 2010 7:12 AM
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 9:05 AM