none
"%1"%* mean Virus?

Question

• Hello.

When I right click on a .exe file then windows show me a "%1"%* and I want to know what does it mean? My system Antivirus is up to date and system is clean.

Any idea?

Thank you.

• Edited by Windows.Geek Tuesday, February 28, 2017 10:54 AM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 10:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you open this exe file? If not, this issue can occur if a virus or other 3rd party application has changed or corrupted some default registry settings.

To resolve this issue, you can reset the registry settings to their default settings. To do this, follow these steps.

1.Click the Startbutton and type regedit in the Search box

2.Right-click Regedit.exe in the returned list and click Run as administrator

3.Browse to the following registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe

4.With .exe selected, right-click (Default) and click Modify…

5.Change the Value data: to exefile

6.Browse to and then click on the following registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile

7.With exefileselected, right-click (Default) and click Modify…

8.Change the Value data: to "%1" %*

9.Browse to and then click on the following registry key:

KEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open

10.With openselected, right-click (Default) and click Modify…

11.Change the Value data: to "%1" %*

12.Close the Registry Editor and restart your PC

For more information, please refer to the link:

Can't open .EXE files in Windows 7 or Windows Vista

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2688326/can-t-open-.exe-files-in-windows-7-or-windows-vista

In addition, I also found several users who had the similar issue as yours, they gave the advices may help you, please refer to the link:

right click on program > “%1” %* instead of run

http://superuser.com/questions/769196/right-click-on-program-1-instead-of-run

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 8:00 AM
  • Hi,

Can you open this exe file? If not, this issue can occur if a virus or other 3rd party application has changed or corrupted some default registry settings.

To resolve this issue, you can reset the registry settings to their default settings. To do this, follow these steps.

1.Click the Startbutton and type regedit in the Search box

2.Right-click Regedit.exe in the returned list and click Run as administrator

3.Browse to the following registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe

4.With .exe selected, right-click (Default) and click Modify…

5.Change the Value data: to exefile

6.Browse to and then click on the following registry key:

7.With exefileselected, right-click (Default) and click Modify…

8.Change the Value data: to "%1" %*

9.Browse to and then click on the following registry key:

KEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open

10.With openselected, right-click (Default) and click Modify…

11.Change the Value data: to "%1" %*

12.Close the Registry Editor and restart your PC

For more information, please refer to the link:

Can't open .EXE files in Windows 7 or Windows Vista

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2688326/can-t-open-.exe-files-in-windows-7-or-windows-vista

In addition, I also found several users who had the similar issue as yours, they gave the advices may help you, please refer to the link:

right click on program > “%1” %* instead of run

http://superuser.com/questions/769196/right-click-on-program-1-instead-of-run

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

8.Change the Value data: to "%1" %* !!!!!!!!

Is it OK?

Saturday, March 04, 2017 10:29 AM
  • Yes, please try it:)

Monday, March 06, 2017 1:22 AM
  • Yes, please try it:)

All registry keys set to them previously and not any change need !!!!
    Tuesday, March 07, 2017 12:44 PM
  • It's very strange, according to the article, in the session steps 8 and 11 where you should change the Value data: to "%1" %* at both these paths:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open

I suppose that you changed it to "%1"%* instead of "%1" %*. There is a Space character between second quotation mark and second percent characters.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017 1:28 AM