none
Folder share not part of restore? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I recently had to perform a restore for a particular file system. No big deal right... Do this all the time....

I made sure I selected to restore with security permissions etc. Afterwards the owner of this directory informed me that their shares were missing... After trying to convince the owner that they were confusing security with shares they pointed me to another server which did have certain folders shared. I then attempted to restore from an alternative date, however had the same result. DPM restored security but not shares...

I have been using DPM for 5 years now and was somewhat shocked when I read a post on a message board stating DPM does not support share recovery?

So, is this the case? Or have I failed to perform some step? I.e. should i be performing a system state on the file system. If so should it be same schedule? And when restoring will this system state be required to be recovered?

Anyones assitance on this matter would be greatly appreciated, because come Monday i'm sure management will be asking me and if I don't have an answer they will go out and find a solution that does... =(

Thanks

James

Sunday, July 22, 2012 4:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM does not restore the actual shares in the case of a total server loss. Shares are indeed stored in the windows registry, so either a systemstate restore would be required, or you can export the lanmanserver key and restore it manually after a disaster.

125996 Saving and restoring existing Windows shares
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/125996/EN-US

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, July 22, 2012 4:10 PM