none
Two identical copies of DNS on DC RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I have, hopefully, an easy question.

I have two 2012 R2 DCs in my domain, both with DNS.  I added a third 2012 R2 DC with DNS, but in DNS, I somehow have two copies, one with the server name, one with the servername.domain.  When I add an A record in DNS on one of my original DCs, it replicates to both instances on my new server.  Same result the other way around.  So, my question is, is there any harm done if I remove one of the two instances?  I want to remove the servername.domain to keep it consistent with the other two DCs.  

Thank you.

• Edited by DRugerH Friday, December 7, 2018 5:42 PM
    Friday, December 7, 2018 5:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

By your description I suppose you might have added the same DNS server within the MMC twice, with both its hostname and its FQDN.  

So, my question is, is there any harm done if I remove one of the two instances?

Yes it’s safe to remove one of them since no DNS or server config is changed.

Regards,

Zoe

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 10, 2018 6:58 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Zoe

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 8:25 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Zoe

Friday, December 14, 2018 7:45 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will propose the solution as answer. If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience, you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards,

Zoe

Monday, December 17, 2018 2:00 AM