Connection to MDT SQL Database fails RRS feed

• Question

• The Setting is like this: I have a regular perfectly working Server with MDT 2013 Update 2, and SQL Server 2012 Express.

I succesfully configured the MDT Database and everything regarding to the customsettings.ini in the [CSETTINGS] section ist correct. The connection in the Hyper-V testing machine works, as the "Processing rules: CSETTINGS" lasts a few settings, and then it keeps on loading the rest. The user, connecting to the DeployRoot has full domain-rights and also full rights on the database. it works as it should an my stored database settings are applied.

Problem: On a second Server i have a replicated deploymentshare of this server. the same user connections, firewalls deactivated on both sides. When i deploy a PC via PXE and the step "Processing rules: CSETTINGS" appears, it takes several minutes to complete and afterwards i can see that it didn' work.

Since there is no firewall restriction, the same users working in the same domain, i can never get a connection to the sql server.

However, when i try to connect from the second server in windwos server 2012 via sql management studio to the database on the other server where the database runs, the connection works.

any idea what could cause this?

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 11:25 AM

Answers

• If anyone is interested...

it was indeed a forgotten firewall rule in one of our firewalls.

Found it out with the help of this article:

https://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/647/How-to-run-Microsoft-Network-Monitor-in-WinPE
    • Edited by MdtGyver Monday, January 29, 2018 2:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by MdtGyver Monday, January 29, 2018 2:50 PM
    Monday, January 29, 2018 2:49 PM