none
Unplugging laptop kills sound RRS feed

• Question

• RC7100, Compaq nx9420 laptop.  When I unplug the laptop from the charger, the audio device stops working.  The device is still shown as enabled in device manager, and I can still open the mixer and change the levels, but no sound appears.  This only seems to happen if there is an application playing sound at the time I unplug it, and closing the application seems to restore sound.  Anybody have any ideas on this one?
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 5:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for updating.

Please try resetting the Power settings to check the issue:

1.    Go to “Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Power Options” and click the link “Change plan settings” link of your current power plan.

2.    On “Edit Plan Settings”, click “Restore default settings for this plan” and then click “Yes”.

3.    Go to “change advanced power settings”.

4.    On the “Advanced settings” window, click “change settings that are currently unavailable” if it exists. Then click “Restore plan defaults” and click “Yes”. Then Click “OK” to save the settings and close this window.

5.    After the steps above, the Power Options are reset to default. Please reboot the computer and then check if the issue will reoccur.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 5:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Please try the following to narrow down the issue:

1.    Please check if there is a new version of driver released; if so, please try the new one. You can also run Windows Update to check the driver.

2.    Just for a check, if you boot the computer without plugging the charger, will the sound work?

3.    When the issue occurs, you can plug a headset to the computer and see if it works.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, June 26, 2009 8:56 AM
  • Hello

1. I don't find a newer version of the driver.
    2. Yes, the sound works at boot time whether there's a charger or not.  The issue only occurs when the power is unplugged while media is playing (e.g. Windows Media Player playing a DVD or IE playing a Youtube video).
    3. No, plugging in the headphones doesn't work.

I suspect that what's happening is that the sound device is being disabled when the power profile switches, although when I check in device manager it appears as enabled.  I've noticed that Windows 7 makes more aggressive attempts at power management, and does turn off the sound when it's not being used (I have an indicator light that shows when the sound is muted).
    Friday, June 26, 2009 9:02 AM
  • ...Before you ask me, yes, I've tried pressing the mute button and moving the volume slider.  To all external appearances, the audio device is working, but there's no sound.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 9:03 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for updating.

Please try resetting the Power settings to check the issue:

1.    Go to “Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Power Options” and click the link “Change plan settings” link of your current power plan.

2.    On “Edit Plan Settings”, click “Restore default settings for this plan” and then click “Yes”.

3.    Go to “change advanced power settings”.

4.    On the “Advanced settings” window, click “change settings that are currently unavailable” if it exists. Then click “Restore plan defaults” and click “Yes”. Then Click “OK” to save the settings and close this window.

5.    After the steps above, the Power Options are reset to default. Please reboot the computer and then check if the issue will reoccur.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 5:43 AM
  • I have the nx8420 laptop and have the exact same problem. It is really annoying. I think that I have tried everything that the other replies suggested. including buying and installing a new copy of windows 7. Did you find an actual solution? 

The sound works if you boot without the power adapter plugged in.

I think that the problem might start after the computer has been asleep or hibernated.

If you are designing a computer think about the list of people that would want their sound to stop when the laptop unplugged from the power, how much power does a laptops audio amp consume compared to the to the capacity of the battery, it's not going to be a class A audio amp. Also include a power option: don't do anything different when the power source changes.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 10:58 AM
  • thank you for your post, this worked for me on a dell inspiron 7567
    Sunday, September 3, 2017 3:41 PM