Rejoin Computer to the domain issue RRS feed

• Question

• I just done a migration from my sbs 2003 to server 2012r2! essentials, after i moved the fsmo roles i want to connect my computers to the essentials dashboard.

if i am using the connect wizard i getting error that the computer is already in use in the active directory

what i need to do?

i dont want to remove the computer from the active directory, or change the computer name.

there is any way to rejoin the same computer to the essentials dashboard?

thanks alot.

Monday, April 7, 2014 5:57 PM

Answers

• Hi:

afaik, you must disjoin and rejoin.  The link below only provided guidance to preserve the primary users profile, so if there are more than one user you may want to copy out the desktop/favorites/documents and such to a safe location.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn408636.aspx

Larry Struckmeyer[MVP] If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Thursday, April 24, 2014 9:45 AM
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:22 AM
  • Don't see any need to remove the system from the AD, but if you continue to get the message after disjoining you could do it.  It will not affect anything afaik.  But pay attention to the user data and profiles... copy them out before doing this just in case.  In addition, make a complete backup of the station and the server before doing anything.

Larry Struckmeyer[MVP] If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:43 PM

All replies

• Hi:

afaik, you must disjoin and rejoin.  The link below only provided guidance to preserve the primary users profile, so if there are more than one user you may want to copy out the desktop/favorites/documents and such to a safe location.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn408636.aspx

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:22 AM
  • So before i am using the essentials connectetor i need left the domain ? and delete the exsiting computer from the active directory? this is what you mean?

thanks  alot

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 5:21 AM
  • Don't see any need to remove the system from the AD, but if you continue to get the message after disjoining you could do it.  It will not affect anything afaik.  But pay attention to the user data and profiles... copy them out before doing this just in case.  In addition, make a complete backup of the station and the server before doing anything.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:43 PM