none
DHCP Reservation proper syntax?

Question

• My customer is running Server 2008 and I need to create 2 reservations, which I'm assuming and hoping will always assign a given IP to a given MAC address. I entered the MAC address with neither colons nor dashes, I just put in a straight hexadecimal value of 0040237D43B3 (not the actual number btw, just as a example). I looked at a couple examples online where people are delimiting each 2 characters with either a dash or a colon. Will DHCP be OK with my MAC addresses as I've entered them, without any delimiters or should I redo them with some dashes or colons?
    Monday, March 17, 2014 3:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• You have to add proper MAC address, You have to follow MAC address syntax.

Regards,
    Manjunath Sullad

Monday, March 17, 2014 3:43 PM
  • You have to add proper MAC address, You have to follow MAC address syntax.

Regards,
    Manjunath Sullad

But you don't actually say what is acceptable syntax.  Please go back and read my question again.
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 4:55 PM
  • Hi,

The correct format is xx-xx-xx-xx-xx.

Hope this helps.

Friday, March 21, 2014 1:22 AM
  • Hello,

Is your DHCP configured correctly now?

Do you have any further questions?

Monday, March 24, 2014 7:21 AM
  • I think they are asking what is the best way or allowed ways because you said standard format or correct format but the correct format which is most popular is with colon delimiters and that doesn't work.

It looks like you are saying the hyphen works which is the way it's displayed in ipconfig /all but does no delimiters also work?  I'll try it, it's been awhile since I added I believe hyphen and no delimiters are the format accepted but the best way to add if it's already a lease is to go to active leases and convert to a reservation.

Thursday, September 28, 2017 5:58 AM