Edge Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have one edge server with one MX record hosted for my company exchange mail system. I want to deploy another server of edge as a secondary or failover.

I have another MX record other than my live one, I want to assign this MX record to my secondary edge server to work simultaneously with primary server and act as a failover.

How can I do that? Please guide me.

Monday, September 23, 2013 10:48 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please refer to the following articles:

Load Balancing Inbound Internet Messages Among Your Edge Transport Servers

The most common situation is handling incoming messages from the Internet. You don't need to deploy a load balancing solution to distribute the load across your Edge Transport servers. You can accomplish this by using DNS round robin and mail exchange records (MX records) that have the same preference value, as shown in the following figure.

Load balancing using MX records

Configure DNS for Load Balancing

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398251.aspx

Hope it helps you!

Thanks.

Regards, Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:25 AM

All replies

• if you want to have failover on Edge server level, you should deploy multiple MX records with different IP addresses in DNS. Simple round-robin on DNS level will provide you with load balancing as well as failover if one EDGE server fails.

Look here for more details: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125239(v=exchg.141).aspx

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Damir

• Proposed as answer by damirdMVP Monday, September 23, 2013 11:22 AM
    Monday, September 23, 2013 11:22 AM
  • Hi Damir,

Thanks for your reply.

I have multiple MX Records.

Do u have step by step procedure to configure this failover edge?

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 5:24 AM
  • Hi,

Please refer to the following articles:

Load Balancing Inbound Internet Messages Among Your Edge Transport Servers

The most common situation is handling incoming messages from the Internet. You don't need to deploy a load balancing solution to distribute the load across your Edge Transport servers. You can accomplish this by using DNS round robin and mail exchange records (MX records) that have the same preference value, as shown in the following figure.

Load balancing using MX records

Configure DNS for Load Balancing

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398251.aspx

Hope it helps you!

Thanks.

Regards, Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks a lot for your help. One more thing I want to clear it,

How can I integrate my Second MX record to my secondary server? So all the traffic will route through my Second MX record and then go to secondary server?

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 8:20 AM