Duration Changing with Resource RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I'm quite new to MS Project so I suspect this is a beginner issue but nevertheless... When I input a value into the Resource Field it changes my duration and end date. I took some screen shots so you can see what I mean - http://imgur.com/a/C8oGr

I'm aware I probably shouldn't add a resource named 'Everyone' but it was the quickest way to do what I wanted (plus even if I did change it, this problem would still arise later on when I assign one person to a lot of tasks.

But check out row 8 of the first two images. You can see it has the correct start, end and duration yet when I put in 'Everyone' into the resource field (image 2) it changes the duration and end date.

I had a google and got the suggestion that it was because I had effort driven resources ticked, but that box wasn't ticked at all!

Thanks guys,

CP 

Edit: I asked this question a couple of days ago and a user told me to change it to 'Fixed Duration'. I did this and it fixed it but then my computer crashed and doing it again didn't fix it.

Saturday, March 10, 2012 5:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Well, I am now the one who is confused. I never looked at how Project calculated manually scheduled tasks- that in itself is an oddity.

Be aware that the name of the resource absolutely does not modify the calculation rules and that effort driven only comes into play when you add or delete resources from an automatiucally scheduled task, and that fixed duration only plays for automatically scheeduled tasks..

In this case, because of the setting of default end time, a task without resources where you enter an end date (which by all means is not recommended in Project) finishes at 8:00

But a resoruce having to work 4 days on a normal Working calendar finishes the fourth day at 17:00

I'm sure that after this explanation you will still be confused. I can't explain the colors of the rainbow to a blind man.

If you will persist to try to understand Project without learning it (be it from a book, a website, or best of all through a 2 day course) my best guess is that you will get the understanding somewhere in 2019. There are so many calculation rules - the whole i logical in itself but not always what one might expect. Of course your questions are very welcome but it woud really help you if you got the basics first!

Greetings,

Saturday, March 10, 2012 8:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Well, I am now the one who is confused. I never looked at how Project calculated manually scheduled tasks- that in itself is an oddity.

Be aware that the name of the resource absolutely does not modify the calculation rules and that effort driven only comes into play when you add or delete resources from an automatiucally scheduled task, and that fixed duration only plays for automatically scheeduled tasks..

In this case, because of the setting of default end time, a task without resources where you enter an end date (which by all means is not recommended in Project) finishes at 8:00

But a resoruce having to work 4 days on a normal Working calendar finishes the fourth day at 17:00

I'm sure that after this explanation you will still be confused. I can't explain the colors of the rainbow to a blind man.

If you will persist to try to understand Project without learning it (be it from a book, a website, or best of all through a 2 day course) my best guess is that you will get the understanding somewhere in 2019. There are so many calculation rules - the whole i logical in itself but not always what one might expect. Of course your questions are very welcome but it woud really help you if you got the basics first!

Greetings,

Saturday, March 10, 2012 8:33 AM
  • Hi

changing to fixed duration is one solution because than the duration is fixed and what changes is the total work hours and/or the resources units

The scheduling calculation formula is  Duration = work  / resource units (%)

So if the duration is fixed and the units are different than 100% than the work allocated will change as well.

what i'm trying to say is that i think the cause of what happen is different.

you can allocate a resource to a task that is fixed units or fixed work and if the resource is defined 100% it shouldn't change the duration.

But if there is a conflict between the project calender and the resource calendar or between the hours per day defined in the calendar and the hours per day or per month defined in the schedule options then that might cause the duration to be different from the work.   check if the resource calendar is the same as the project calendar, then check if the hours of work defined for the calendar (Project ribbon --> change working time) is the same as the hours of work defined in schedule options (File ribbon --> Options --> schedule -->  Hours per day, start time, end time Etc...).

Ofir Marco , MCTS P.Z. Projects

Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Hi,

Just a few precisions.

When there is a difference between the project calendar and the resource calendar you cannot call that a "conflict" because once there is a resource assigned t a task he project calendar does NO LONGER influence the task planning.

Changing hours per day to be different from the working hours will not make work different from duration (when expressed in the same units, e.g. hours) but only changes the conversion from hours into days - just a matter of perception, not f the value behind.

Hope his helps,

Friday, March 16, 2012 8:52 AM