none
Active Directory Domain Controller RRS feed

• Question

• I have a domain where the domain controller was unexpected lost, completely unrecoverable. I am deploying a new server for the office and wondering if there is any way to setup the new active directory/domain to be the same as the old one and just take the place of the old one. I don't have any back ups to work off of I just know the domain controller and have a listing of users that will need to be authenticated. 

Thanks for your help

Sunday, September 6, 2020 12:06 AM

All replies

• If you had only single domain controller for that domain , no worries just make sure you never bring back that computer on network and you can make same domain name again , its should be fine .

• Proposed as answer by Balal Ahmad Sunday, September 6, 2020 4:52 AM
    Sunday, September 6, 2020 4:49 AM
  • Thanks for your response! So when setting up the new domain controller do I select:

*Add a domain controller to an existing domain

or 

*Add a new forest

I haven't ever set up a domain controller before. So if there were any documentation or steps that you could provide that would be wonderful!

Sunday, September 6, 2020 11:38 PM
  • if there is not domain exists anymore , Please select Add a new forest.

but remember you shouldn't expect already join computer keep working , you have to un-join and join them back even the domain name is same as SIDs will be generating again.

• Proposed as answer by Balal Ahmad Monday, September 7, 2020 4:02 AM
    • Edited by Balal Ahmad Monday, September 7, 2020 10:08 AM added more details to explain in well.
    Monday, September 7, 2020 4:02 AM
  • Thank you so much!
    Monday, September 7, 2020 9:31 PM
  • Please mark as answer if this is fixed.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2020 5:07 AM