Ex2010 SP1 - Retention tags and policy RRS feed

• Question

• I created a new retention policy tag for deleted items folder, and added this tag to a new retention policy.  I then did properties on the user, and went into Mailbox Settings, Messaging Records Management, checked the Apply Retention Policy box, and selected the new retention policy. 

I'm unable to see any items get removed from the users deleted items folder, am I missing something ? 

Also is there a way to assign a policy for all users ? or all users within a specific database ?

Arnie
    Monday, October 10, 2011 7:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Arnie,

Please run the cmdlet Start-ManagedFolderAssistant -Identity "user name" and check again.

Start-ManagedFolderAssistant
    Managed Folder Assistant
    If you want to assign a policy for all users within a specific database, please try:
    Get-Mailbox -Database "mailboxdatabase name" | foreach {Set-Mailbox -Identity $_.name -RetentionPolicy "policy name"}
    Frank Wang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Arnie997 Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:23 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:15 AM
  • Some interesting things happening with the "Deleted Items" folder for sure....

1 - There is a known bug and if you want outlook to work correctly you MUST be running Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010.  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff800883.aspx

2 - The retention age is calculated from the date/time the policy was applied, not when the email was deleted.  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb430780.aspx

3 - If you go into the "Deleted Items" folder from outlook there is no way to determine the retention age, you have to use OWA and this will tell you information on the retention.

Arnie
    • Marked as answer by Arnie997 Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:22 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Arnie,

Please run the cmdlet Start-ManagedFolderAssistant -Identity "user name" and check again.

Managed Folder Assistant
    If you want to assign a policy for all users within a specific database, please try:
    Get-Mailbox -Database "mailboxdatabase name" | foreach {Set-Mailbox -Identity $_.name -RetentionPolicy "policy name"}
    Frank Wang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Arnie997 Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:23 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 7:15 AM
  • Hi Arnie,

Managed Folder Assistant
    Frank Wang

Forum Support

Yes thank you for the reply.  I did run the  Start-ManagedFolderAssistant -Identity "user name" and nothing changed.  I also ran it the next day and nothing changes.

Arnie
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 1:00 PM
  • Some interesting things happening with the "Deleted Items" folder for sure....

1 - There is a known bug and if you want outlook to work correctly you MUST be running Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010.  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff800883.aspx

2 - The retention age is calculated from the date/time the policy was applied, not when the email was deleted.  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb430780.aspx

3 - If you go into the "Deleted Items" folder from outlook there is no way to determine the retention age, you have to use OWA and this will tell you information on the retention.

Arnie
    • Marked as answer by Arnie997 Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:22 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:16 PM
  • Hi Arnie,

Managed Folder Assistant
    Frank Wang

Forum Support

Yes thank you for the reply.  I did run the  Start-ManagedFolderAssistant -Identity "user name" and nothing changed.  I also ran it the next day and nothing changes.

Arnie

Adjustment to PS ....

1. Fist off run “get-mailboxdatabase” and make a note of the name of the mailbox database you want to use.
    2. Now Run “Get-retentionpolicy” and make a note of the name of the policy also
    3. Now Run “get-mailbox –database “name of DB from step 1” -resultsize unlimited | set-mailbox -retentionpolicy “Name of retention policy from step 2″

Arnie
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 11:13 AM