App-V 5 and package source RRS feed

• Question

• I have app-v 4.6 in my environment now I am trying out app-v 5 at my site.  On campus 5 works just fine, however on my offsite offices I am trying to point the clients to their own file repository to stream from.  In 4.6 modifying the OSD Source key to the offsite offices file share which works fine.  Is there a similar function in 5?  I tried to modify the PACKAGESOURCEROOT key but I am getting file cannot be found errors.  When I delete the modified value it works just fine it just streams from my main site versus the offsite location.

I appreciate any help!

Brian

Brian

Friday, January 17, 2014 7:37 AM

Answers

• I had a long response typed to reply and decided to give it on more try.  I found that the client was appending additional path information.  I was using the full path \\servername\sharename\content\appv5 for the package source.  The Streaming-Transport gave me the answer.  Changing the path to \\servername\sharename corrected the issue.

Thank you all!

Brian

• Edited by Big_B Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:42 AM grammer
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brandon RecordsModerator Friday, January 24, 2014 10:26 PM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:41 AM

All replies

• What protocol are you using? What path is being requested?

Have you confirmed that the path is actually correct and permissions on the target are correct?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Friday, January 17, 2014 9:07 AM
  • PackageSourceRoot generally should work; of course users and devices need the same permissions as on the original share.

The original App-V 5.0 and 5.0 SP1 releas have issues with PSR if it was some levels deep. HF3 for 5.0 SP1 and

SP2 fixes that. In the log files or at least in Procmon you should see where the App-V clients tries to connect to - and if everything goes right with that

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Friday, January 17, 2014 9:31 AM
  • Aaron,

I am using the http protocol.  The path I am using in the same folder as my App-v 4.6 OSD files.  I did verify permissions for grins and the files and folders are correct.  I am also a domain admin.

Falko,

I am running 5.0 SP2.  I will start using Procmon and enable the client logging to track this down.

Brian

Friday, January 17, 2014 3:59 PM
  • Hello,

Whats the location of your packages (http://....?) ?

What is the value you entered for PACKAGESOURCEROOT?

What does the log-file say?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Sunday, January 19, 2014 11:22 AM
  • I had a long response typed to reply and decided to give it on more try.  I found that the client was appending additional path information.  I was using the full path \\servername\sharename\content\appv5 for the package source.  The Streaming-Transport gave me the answer.  Changing the path to \\servername\sharename corrected the issue.

Thank you all!

Brian

• Edited by Big_B Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:42 AM grammer
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brandon RecordsModerator Friday, January 24, 2014 10:26 PM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:41 AM