Automatically display folder contents RRS feed

• Question

• When I use my arrow keys to move the focus from one folder to another in the Windows 7 navigation pane, the details pane does not automatically match. It is very disconcerting to drag and drop files into the details pane, only to discover that I just moved them into the last folder I had viewed before navigating to a different folder with my arrow key.

How can I force Explorer to show me the contents of the current folder?

I have been trying to think of some logical reason for this new design, but any logic that might exists continues to elude me. It is very misleaded to have one folder highlighted in the navigation pane but the contents of another folder showing in the details pane.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:26 PM

Answers

• The behavior is by design. A folder must be selected (click on) to display the contents. This change in the left pane of Windows Explorer has been disliked by many since the Beta and RC.

There are third party explorer tools that you could try with XP like features. I don't use them.

• Marked as answer by Brian D. Hart Friday, July 22, 2011 1:39 PM
    Friday, July 22, 2011 12:23 PM

All replies

• The behavior is by design. A folder must be selected (click on) to display the contents. This change in the left pane of Windows Explorer has been disliked by many since the Beta and RC.

There are third party explorer tools that you could try with XP like features. I don't use them.

• Marked as answer by Brian D. Hart Friday, July 22, 2011 1:39 PM
    Friday, July 22, 2011 12:23 PM
  • Thank you.

I am still curious, though, as to Microsoft's intent with this. If this had happened because someone neglected to think of the consequences and it were by omission, I could understand that, but that his hardly likely. On the other hand, if this is indeed by design, then it is intentional, and someone at MS must have seen, after analysis, some benefit to retaining details pane content until the user clicks the mouse or presses the space bar.

Perhaps it was a cloaked way to speed up navigation through folders--to prevent the details pane from refreshing as the focus passes each folder in the navigation pane, but that would more logically be solved by something as simple as a half-second delay in calling for the view refresh as the focus passes to each folder in the navigation pane.

Anyway, the logic continues to elude me. This is minor, but definitely not an improvement over XP in my unimportant opinion. After all, I am just a user and systems manager for 100 computers. I do not like introducing third-part tools, so I just have to remember to pick up my mouse or press the space bar to activate the currently "active" folder in order to actually select it.

Friday, July 22, 2011 1:51 PM