App-V 4.5.2 and Sequencing SilverLight as described in App-V Trial Guide RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure if this is a bug with v4.5.2 or if the App-V Trial Guide (http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/7/8/f784a197-73be-48ff-83da-4102c05a6d44/MSAppVirt45Trial_Guide_Final.docx) no longer applies to this version? 
    The issue is that if the virtualized silverlight (packaged exactly as per the Trial Guide) is run on a desktop with IE7 and IE7 has not been run nativly such that the IEUSER.exe process is running, the Silverlight virtualied instance will fail.  In most cases it hangs, then after 5-10 minutes IE will appear, but withour Silverlight.
    if one then terminated ieuser.exe and iexplore.exe via task manager, then starts and closes IE locally, such that ieuser.exe is then still running (or just leave the local instance of IE running), then initiates the Silverlight App-V instance of IE, it opens and functions as expected (as per the trial guide).  This is not an issue with IE8  (appears IE8 does include ieuser.exe.)
    Thanks 
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:27 PM

Answers

• Adding the following to the OSD file resolved the problem.

<POLICIES>
    <LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>TRUE</LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>
    </POLICIES>

Add inbetween  <ENVLIST/>   and    </VIRTUALENV>

example:
       <ENVLIST/>
      <POLICIES>
      </POLICIES>
      </VIRTUALENV>

I would recomend Microsoft update the 4.5.2 App-V trial guide for Sequencing Silverlight with this resolution.
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Pfeifer Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:15 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:15 PM

All replies

• I've never looked at what triggets ieuser on first run, but assuming registry, you can probably package in what is needed to avoid triggering on a new client system.  Maybe MS can work that out for us and include in the next version of the trial guide.
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 4:08 AM
  • To get around this issue with SoftGrid 4.2, within the Virtualized IE plug-in package I was able to to apply IE zone settings, to open IE with Protected mode off.  But with v4.5.2 it handles GP's differently and all our zone settings are applied via Group Policy, so no more by-passing GP for protected mode.  I could use an OSD script to pre launch IE with ieuser, but don't want to add another IE window in the users face.
    Is there an updated Trial Guide for 4.5 SP1 with instructions to resolve this issue.  I see in other forums that others have experienced this issue, but have resolved it by updating the clients to IE-8,  this is not an option for us.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:53 PM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:03 PM
  • Adding the following to the OSD file resolved the problem.

<POLICIES>
    </POLICIES>

Add inbetween  <ENVLIST/>   and    </VIRTUALENV>

example:
       <ENVLIST/>
      <POLICIES>
      </POLICIES>
      </VIRTUALENV>

I would recomend Microsoft update the 4.5.2 App-V trial guide for Sequencing Silverlight with this resolution.
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Pfeifer Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:15 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:15 PM