none
DPMBackup.exe Recovery RRS feed

• Question

• Two questions:

1) I use DPM 2012 to protect my Exchange 2010 DAG, we back it up once per day and keep the backups on disk for 3 weeks. If I use DPMBackup.exe once every 3 weeks to present the replicas to a 3rd party vendor so I can spin it to tape for Archiving, does that mean I have 3 weeks worth of backups contained in those replicas or just 1 days worth?

2) Is there documentation on what you need to do to recover the replicas from the 3rd party's tape backup unit in such a way that you could then use DPM to recover what is needed? For instance, if I need to recover a mailbox database from 6 weeks ago I would restore the backups from the 3rd party's tape unit back to the DPM server.....but then how would I "import" that restore  into DPM so I could recover? I don't think that is how I would do it since you are restoring data that is beyond the Protection Group's retention.

Jason

HDL

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 5:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

DPMBackup.exe -replica only creates shadow copies for the replica volumes, so that would simply be another point in time for the current replica, and will not contain any more or any less than what is currently on the replica volume which is data from the last express full + incremental sync (log files)

To recover from 3rd party tape, you cannot restore back to DPM replica, that would corrupt future backups, so you need to a) restore from tape to the exchange server, b) run eseutil.exe to replay logs, c) mount the exchange DB to a recovery storage group and d) use exchange tools to restore the desired mailbox.

If you were to use DPM long term tape backup solution, then steps is a,b,c are all done automatically by DPM and you just need to perform d) manually yourself.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 4:09 AM

All replies

• Hi

If you are doing a backup and your protection group is set for whatever you need then you will have X days recovery points. If you only backing up every 3 weeks then you only have 1 days worth.

DPM will keep your recovery points, you can then restore that recovery point if needed.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 6:40 PM
  • Actually, I back up once per day and retain the backups for 3 weeks (21 days). Now, when I run dpmbackup.exe -replica on day 22 so it can get backed up to tape by a 3rd party for archiving, does that shadow copy that gets created by dpmbackup.exe contain the 21 days worth of backups or just the latest backup (the documentation does not make that clear IMHO)?

Trying to determine if the archive tape contains a recovery point from 1 day or a recovery point that contains 21 days worth of recovery points. Sorry for any confusion, I may be contacting MS on this one. Then of course there is the issue of how to get that recovery point back onto the DPM server so it can be recovered. Unfortunately hooking up a tape library to the DPM server and letting DPM take care of all this is not an option.

HDL

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:03 PM
  • Hi,

DPMBackup.exe -replica only creates shadow copies for the replica volumes, so that would simply be another point in time for the current replica, and will not contain any more or any less than what is currently on the replica volume which is data from the last express full + incremental sync (log files)

To recover from 3rd party tape, you cannot restore back to DPM replica, that would corrupt future backups, so you need to a) restore from tape to the exchange server, b) run eseutil.exe to replay logs, c) mount the exchange DB to a recovery storage group and d) use exchange tools to restore the desired mailbox.

If you were to use DPM long term tape backup solution, then steps is a,b,c are all done automatically by DPM and you just need to perform d) manually yourself.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 4:09 AM
  • Thank you Mike for providing a quick and detailed answer.

HDL

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:57 PM