none
convert GANTT chart from named months and days of the month to only cumalative days? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!  My three months GANTT chart currently has 13 tasks dated from Sept,2012 to January,2013.

The named months and numbered days don't matter, so how would I make the GANTT chart look something like this:

Start           Finish            Duration        

Task 1:   1                  5                      5                        xxxxx

Task 2:   6                 15                   10                                  yyyyyyyyyyy

Task 3:   16               17                     2                                                      zz

Task 4:   18                21                    4                                                          aaaa

Task 5:   22                30                     9                                                                  bbbbbbbbb

Thanks for any help!
    Saturday, July 21, 2012 4:21 AM

Answers

• economistrt,

What version of Project are you using? If it's Project 2010, it's pretty easy, just use the manual scheduling mode. You can basically enter whatever you want into the Start, Finish and Duration fields.

If you are using a previous version of Project, your only option is to use extra date and duration fields to show the desired data (e.g. Start1, Finish1, Duration 1). You can configure the Gantt Display to show bars representing those fields BUT the whole setup will be display only, that is, Project will not "schedule" anything based on extra fields. I guess you could set up dual data by using the normal Start, Finish and Duration fields so Project will do the scheduling but then only show your manually entered representation fields in the displayed data.

John

Saturday, July 21, 2012 3:21 PM
  • You can use week numbers if that helps: File/Options/General/Project View and select 3/W05.

Mike

Sunday, July 22, 2012 3:44 PM

All replies

• Economstrt,

I guess what you are asking for is to put different symbols to print the Gantt Chart bar based on the datafield about the task. As far as I know, this not possible.  

What you can do is put any data field, including custom fields, to the right or left of the bar.  Right mouse click on Gantt Chart, pick Bar Styles, see "Text" tab at bottom.

What you'll also see there is the control for bar styles and as you can see there is no "per task" control for the bar.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Saturday, July 21, 2012 11:23 AM
  • Sorry Rob, I should have been more clear.  I see your point, and I've since edited the right side so that they have the same look.  

Instead of the chart looking something like this:

Task 1:   9/1              9/7                  1w                        xxxxx

Task 2:   9/9              9/22                2w                                  xxxxxxxxxx

Task 3:   9/23            9/24               0.4w                                                   xx

Task 4:   9/25            9/28               0.8w                                                       xxxx

Task 5:   9/29            10/12             1.8w                                                               xxxxxxxxx

I wanted the Start, Finish, Duration columns to look like this:

Task 1:   1                  5                      5                        xxxxx

Task 2:   6                 15                   10                                  xxxxxxxxxx

Task 3:   16               17                     2                                                     xx

Task 4:   18                21                    4                                                          xxxx

Task 5:   22                30                    9                                                                  xxxxxxxxx

Thanks for any help!

Saturday, July 21, 2012 2:29 PM
  • economistrt,

What version of Project are you using? If it's Project 2010, it's pretty easy, just use the manual scheduling mode. You can basically enter whatever you want into the Start, Finish and Duration fields.

If you are using a previous version of Project, your only option is to use extra date and duration fields to show the desired data (e.g. Start1, Finish1, Duration 1). You can configure the Gantt Display to show bars representing those fields BUT the whole setup will be display only, that is, Project will not "schedule" anything based on extra fields. I guess you could set up dual data by using the normal Start, Finish and Duration fields so Project will do the scheduling but then only show your manually entered representation fields in the displayed data.

John

Saturday, July 21, 2012 3:21 PM
  • Does Jim's article at http://www.msprojectblog.com/Referenced/Time%20Scale%20Numbering.pdf help?

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Sunday, July 22, 2012 1:03 PM
  • You can use week numbers if that helps: File/Options/General/Project View and select 3/W05.

Mike

Sunday, July 22, 2012 3:44 PM