a disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart RRS feed

• Question

• My symptom is:

On a computer that is running Microsoft Windows Vista, I never tried to install another operating system while I tried to reboot and it successfully shutted down and never booted up anymore with the message "disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart" shown on the screen.

I have another HD suffering from a similar condition that is "bootmgr is missing  press ctrl+alt+del to restart." I tried to change my boot sequence to CD-ROM then HD and it would succeed booting up with the HD if I place the boot DVD-ROM in the drive and don't press any key while it prompts "Press any key to boot with CD-ROM."

I've tried Vista installation DVD's auto recovery, it succeeds in finding my installation 99,999MB C: but failed on recovering it. It claims that I have something like camera plugged in. But all I have is a network line, a USB cable for mouse and keyboard (they share the same cable), a power cable, and a monitor output line plugged on my computer.

I also tried to use console tool bootsect /nt60 ALL /force it claimed that it successfully updated my bootcode in C: but the same problem is still there. Is there any way to fixboot or fixmbr like XP?

And I tried VistaBootPro to backup my BCD but it failed on /export c: while it did succeed in finding my boot information. Should I try install the bootloader, I have only Vista installed tho.

And my older drive passed away after almost a hundred of booting up with Vista DVD in the drive. I’m afraid that my new HD will pass away too. My older HD can still be found in the “Device Manager” but cannot be found in “My Computer” is there anything I can do to have it back? It’s a Western Digital 80GB HD. And my new HD is a Seagate 250 GB is there any software published by these two companies that can find the bad tracks on my HD and mark them not to use them?

BTW this website is so unstable that I suffered from “We apologize, but an unknown error has occurred in the forums. This error has been logged.” And I lost all the information I’ve typed. So I suspect that this website must be powered by Windows. Would you consider to upgrade it to FreeBSD just like Hotmail which had suffered from the inefficiency and unstability when bought by M$ after it had downgrade its system from FreeBSD to Windows NT? Hotmail had upgraded it back to FreeBSD for its efficiency and stability. So the system is more stable and can serve more customers at the same time and save more money on maintenece.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 3:45 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Regarding the Windows boot issue, many factors can cause it. I hope the following threads can help you efficiently.

"A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart"

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=2112394&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=0

Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" error.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/19004/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regarding the older HD issue, please try to verity it in Computer management.

1. Right click Computer and select Manage.

2. Click on Disk Management.

3. If drive do not have a letter, please right click the drive and select Change Drive Letter and Path, give the drive a letter and you are all set.

4. Restart the computer to test this issue again.

Regarding the forum suggestions, thank you for your feedback. Microsoft are striving to capture any feedback so as to ensure that we are continuously developing products/service to meet our customers' needs. Microsoft is testing the new forum and will release it in future. Thank you for your understanding.

Friday, June 6, 2008 10:48 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Regarding the Windows boot issue, many factors can cause it. I hope the following threads can help you efficiently.

"A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart"

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=2112394&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=0

Getting rid of "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" error.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/19004/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regarding the older HD issue, please try to verity it in Computer management.

1. Right click Computer and select Manage.

2. Click on Disk Management.

3. If drive do not have a letter, please right click the drive and select Change Drive Letter and Path, give the drive a letter and you are all set.

4. Restart the computer to test this issue again.

Regarding the forum suggestions, thank you for your feedback. Microsoft are striving to capture any feedback so as to ensure that we are continuously developing products/service to meet our customers' needs. Microsoft is testing the new forum and will release it in future. Thank you for your understanding.

Friday, June 6, 2008 10:48 AM
  • Hi Guys !!
    The answer for DISK READ ERROR is 
    adiskreaderror.blogspot.com and put comments so that I can answer for doubts.
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 6:16 PM