PCs hanging up during shutdown RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone please inform me how to trace the root cause of this issue?  We are having numerous XP PCs where they will hang up / freeze.  When I remotely kill the winlogon.exe process, the PCs will reboot on the spot.

Similarly, on a win7 PC, it says Taskeng was waiting to end a scheduled task but alas, which one???  These might be related but I need to determine the exact issue 1st.

Process monitor / process explorer are nice but I'm not seeing anything.  Event logs don't pinpoint the cause.

What other tools are there that I can use to pinpoint the nature of the beast?

Thanks

• Edited by lrak35 Wednesday, September 26, 2012 7:33 PM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 7:22 PM

All replies

• I can only make a guess here as related to my own personal experience. Sounds like something is spiking the "CPU/DPC calls" on the systems to 100%. You should be able to determine this in Process Explorer and if so maybe determine what the cause is. Perhaps you've installed a new software? There are some malware items I have heard about that will also cause high CPU/DPC calls. As for my situation, I never found an answer and my only recourse after two months was a fresh install. No problems since.

Good luck

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:14 PM
  • We came across the User Profile Hive Cleanup tool which we are going to try to see if we can determine the cause.

Other thoughts?

Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:28 PM
  • Now we see the following

The following handles in user profile hive have been remapped because they were preventing the profile from unloading successfully: 

svchost.exe (1892)
      HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Network\Location Awareness (0x26c)

However, I am at a loss still as to why this is an issue.  I've compared the reg keys from my PC with the PC and I don't see anything odd.  

Can anyone shed some more light on this?

Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:32 PM
  • I prefer system restore for this issue. It will simply solve this issue. Also try Tuneup Utilities.

Thanks, Renjith V R

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:02 AM