freezing RRS feed

• Question

• ok i have a asus m3n78 pro motherboard with 4gb of patriot ram (1066mhz), using a amd phenom 9850 chip with a nvidia 896mb gtx260 vid card and a d-link g-510 wireless network card. the problem im having is that my computer freezes within 10 minutes of start up UNLESS im running in safe mode. literally everything works perfectly in safe mode (sound drivers disabled). is there anything i can do to stop my comp from freezing as i would like to be able to watch movies and listen to music on my comp (neither is available in safemode). i have all the latest drivers from the manufacters and cant for the life of me work out what it is that is freezing my comp. at first i thought it was my netwrok card but it works under safemode so its not that. all i can think is its my sound drivers (comes up with "cant open AsIO.sys" error message everytime i load normally and never in safemode). i am running rc build 7100. i have tried using a lan cable to the modem and unistalling and removing my network card, ive unistalled and reinstalled all motherboard, video card driver and updated them (d-link dont have win 7 drivers) and still it kieeps on freezing. any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 7:17 PM

All replies

• One good method is to go into msconfig and choose selective startup.  From there, go to the services tab and check Hide all Microsoft services.  After that, choose disable all, click OK and reboot.  See if you have the problem.  If not, go back into MSConfig -> services and reenable half of the services and reboot.  You can keep doing this until you find the service causing the problem.

If it still hangs with all non-Microsoft services disabled, you can try disabling startup times from msconfig's tab and see if the problem occurs after a reboot.  You can use the 50% method again here to find the problem if needed. 

Let us know if you are able to indentify the culprit.
    -Matt
    Friday, July 10, 2009 7:30 PM
  • well disabling non microsoft didnt work so ive just gone into the start up options and disabled most of them including antivirus, msn messanger, sound drivers, winamp and all things like that. will let you know when i find out what it was. so far it hasnt frozen yet. hopefully it wont be a program that i want or need lol
    Friday, July 10, 2009 8:22 PM
  • FIXING SLOW PERFORMANCE / FREEZING IN WINDOWS 7

Hello, I can help you to get the freezing fix under windows 7. First, click start, type services.msc under the start search area press enter. From the list, please disable the superfetch and the windows search service. Stop them, disable them from the startup type DROP DOWN option. CLick apply and click ok. You need to do the same step to both (superfetch and windows search service).

Now, right click computer, click properties. Click  Advanced system settings. Click ADVANCED tab, click Settings under performance.   Now, click Advanced on the new window. Click change under virtual memory. If the recommended is 3000 MB or more, ensure that you select CUSTOM size and put 5000 initial and 5000 MB maximum under the virtual memory message. Click SET. click apply and ok.

Now , click start, type %temp% and press enter. The folder would open with some temporary files, simply select them ALL and DELETE with no fear. These all are junk ..

Hey, ensure that you download ccleaner from
    www.filehippo.com Open ccleaner, click CLEANER, click ANALYZE and click RUN CLEANER to DELETE all the junk files. DO NOT save any backup cuz its not going to affect anything. Now, click REGISTRY and click SCAN FOR ISSUES, when the analyzing is finished, click FIX SELECTED ISSUES. select option NOT TO backup registry and DELETE THEM ALL.

Check the system configuration utility for the non essential startup and non essential services. remember to hide microsoft service before disabling anything. Click startup and disable the non essential ones.

DO NOT KEEP 2 TO 3 DIFFERENT ANTIVIRUS. ( i use avast professional only) avast is a light weight antivirus. it works excellent under windows7. Having a heavy antivirus would affect the speed and performance of the system a lot..

Remove old video drivers, restart system and install new updated video drivers, restart system for changes to take effect.  remember to update the BIOS Of the system. contact your hardware manufacturer for that.

Hopefully this should take care of the issues.....  let me know if u need further help.

-------------------------╬----------------------
    Friday, July 10, 2009 8:55 PM
  • as far as i can tell its msn messenger that keeps freezing my computer. as longas i dont have it starting up on load or even starting it once windows is loaded my comp doesnt freeze as soon as i open messenger my comp freezes withing an hour lol
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:53 AM
  • are you actively using messenger when you freeze up by any chance? and if you are, are you switching to and from another IME?
    I have the problem where if i switch to another IME (traditional chinese) when i use messenger and/or skype, often it (messenger and/or skype) will take up 100% of the cpu for like 30sec while it's switching, and i can't do anything during this time except move my mouse around waiting. happens more often and duration is longer with messenger than with skype.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 5:14 PM
  • i use messenger and myspace im but i wont be using myspace for much longer
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:32 AM
  • well it may be messenger but im having a problem where i just cant connect to the internet. my wireless network card (d-link wireless g dwa-510) keeps having problems with the router or access point. any ideas on how to fix that little problem
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:55 PM
  • i am having problems with my zaps not working it was working fine on vista and xp but i got a new laptop that has windows seven and the zaps just come up empty boxes
    Friday, November 13, 2009 7:07 PM