shares asking for password all of a sudden - then don't work RRS feed

• Question

• my network shares on a remote XP machine started asking for credentials all of a sudden and don't work with any valid credentials. I can still remote desktop into the machine and the shares/share security is okay. These shares have been working for years. I disabled anti-virus (avast) and I'm not using a software firewall, including windows firewall (router is the firewall)

Sunday, December 4, 2011 2:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I dont think a firewall is contributing to your problem. The share can be accessed which is prompting for credentials.

Items to check:

* Try entering username as hostname\username where hostname is the computer netbios name and username is the relevant username  e.g. (xpmachine\user123)

* Ensure the username and password is correct by doing a password reset on the XP box just in case the password has expired

* Ensure the user has permission to read the share(s) in question by right clicking the ACTUAL folder on the XP machine (not shortcut) and checking both the sharing and security tabs, ensure the user is added with full control

If all else fails, try to create another user on the XP box and add them to the share folder as above with full control.

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 6:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I dont think a firewall is contributing to your problem. The share can be accessed which is prompting for credentials.

Items to check:

* Try entering username as hostname\username where hostname is the computer netbios name and username is the relevant username  e.g. (xpmachine\user123)

* Ensure the username and password is correct by doing a password reset on the XP box just in case the password has expired

* Ensure the user has permission to read the share(s) in question by right clicking the ACTUAL folder on the XP machine (not shortcut) and checking both the sharing and security tabs, ensure the user is added with full control

If all else fails, try to create another user on the XP box and add them to the share folder as above with full control.

Martin

Sunday, December 4, 2011 6:53 PM
  • thanks for the reply.

tried entering <machinename>\<password>. tried more than one valid user credentials with and without machine name. no joy.

I do know the passwords work because I use them to log in both locally and remotely no problem.

did check the actual folder share and security tabs. checked advanced permissions too. full control access granted.

will try creating a new user over in the next day or two but that doesn't fix/explain the problem... what happened? could a virus/malware cause this? (virus check came up negative, but it only looks for the ones it knows about...) what security policy(ies) may have changed that would cause this behaviour?

Monday, December 5, 2011 2:41 AM
  • Hi,

Try the new user and see if that works for you. It is certainly a strange issue to say the least.

You could also try a winsock reset on both PC's in case there is a network issue.

Go to Start > Run  > CMD (when command prompt loads do) netsh winsock reset     (Do this for both PC's and restart them)

Martin

Monday, December 5, 2011 2:48 AM
  • creating a new user, giving it all the proper access rights and using it instead of the other users did not work

winsock resets at both ends also did not work

by the way, the problem occurs both with an XP Pro and a Win 7 machine at this end. (the other end is the XP Pro machine that refuses to accept valid login credentials.)

For fun I tried connecting from the remote machine to a local machine and was prompted for a login, which should not have occured. I didn't put credentials in it for fear this is malware and it's logging keystrokes. Might be too late for the other machine and not too late for the machines at this end. So far the ones at this end aren't exhibiting this strange behavior.

if anyone knows what the various security policies should look like with respect to file shares, maybe they could provide some direction or point me to some good online reading?

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 12:55 AM
  • Hi,

I just had a thought, on your Windows 7 PC, go into Network and Sharing Centre, If you are not connected as a home network, try chancing the home group to Work.

I think some of the Windows 7 security features may be in place when set to Home or Public homegroup.

Kind Regards,

Martin

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 3:42 AM