Sharepoint Document library flat view of folders and files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    One of my client has requested my to have a document library display in a way that you can view the folders and the files under that folder without having to navigate through folders.  For example, the view will look like:

Folder 1
      Document 1
      Document 2
      Document 3
    Folder 2
      Document 1
      Document 2
    Folder 3 
      Document 1
      Document 2

Do you know any way can I accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

Friday, October 16, 2009 12:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,
    I am afraid I don't have a an exact solution for this. However there's perhaps a room for creativity by actually redesigning the library to contain some more data. Instead of distributing files across folders, it may be better to have a custom field holding the category that'd otherwise be name for a folder (e.g. Manuals, SalesReports, Memos). You could set up this field to be a drop-down selection list. This will enable the hierarchy view like you request above - all you have to do is setup a view with Grouping by that category field (or modify the default view).

Hope this helps...
    Regards,
    Alex
    Friday, October 16, 2009 12:53 PM
  • Thanks Alex for your help.  The disadvantage of doing the proppsed solution is that the folder permission is lost.  For example if I want to manage the permissions for a group of document under a folder, I will go to the folder and manage it from there.  Instead with the proposed solution I will have to go to each document and manage the permissions.  Are you sure there is not another way to accomplish this?
    Thanks.

Monday, October 19, 2009 8:51 AM
  • Is there any way to do it through SharePoint Designer?  Creating a custom view and converting data to XSLT?  Thanks.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 9:58 AM
  • The article "Document Library Tree View Webpart" shows how to achieve this  http://www.codeproject.com/KB/sharepoint/librarytreewebpart.aspx.
    http://razi.spaces.live.com/
    Monday, October 19, 2009 10:10 AM
  • That is Great!!!!! Thank you Razi, this is exactly what I am looking for.  Thank you so much.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 12:57 PM