is my camera compatable with windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• i have a sony camcorder about 15 months old, it has an IEEE 1394 connection but my brand new pc windows 7 does not even know it's connected to it.  please help...
    Monday, July 19, 2010 1:59 PM

Answers

• Hi marcus,

Check out this link to find out taht if your camcoder is compatible with windows 7 or not.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Browse.aspx?type=Hardware&category=Cameras%20%26%20Photo&subcategory=Camcorders

If windows 7 doesnot have driver for your Sony camcoder than u can install your camcoder driver in XP compatibility mode (its a great feature of windows 7).

To install driver in XP compatibility mode follow these steps:

1. Right-click the driver installation file and choose Properties .

2. Click Compatibility tab.

3. Select Run this program in compatibility mode for .

4. Select Windows XP Service Pack 3 or below.

5. Under Privilege Level , check the Run this program as administrator box.

6. Click OK to save the settings.

Please double click the file to run it again.

Hope this will solve your problem.

Thanks

Regards

Syed Asad Bukhari

• Proposed as answer by Syed Asad Bukhari Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, July 26, 2010 1:16 AM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:22 AM
  • Hi marcus,

First, please check if this camcorder is fully compatible with Windows 7 as Rick and Syed mentioned.

In the meantime, please understand that the 1394 bus driver that is included with Windows 7 replaces the 1394 bus drivers that were included with earlier versions of Windows. See this site for details:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/connect/1394_Windows7.mspx

You can try the following steps to fix our issue, This solved my initial problems with a Maxtor III OneTouch drive. 

1- Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.
    2- Expand the "IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers" node in the device tree on the right hand pane

3- Right click the host controller node select "Update driver software ..."

4- Select "Browse my computer for driver software"

5- Select "let me pick from a list of device driver on my computer ..." and Check the box before “Show compatible hardware”.

6. Choose the second option---1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy), and click next to update the driver. 

For more information, please refer to this article: Windows 7 1394 Firewire devices not working?

Also, you can contact Sony directly to confirm if there is any solutions for this issue.

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 6:42 AM

All replies

• If you had given the exact model and series of your camcorder it would have help find information.

Since you haven't given the model and series, the first thing you need to do is go to the Sony website and see what they have listed about Windows 7 support for your camcorder.  If you don't have the Windows 7 compatible software and/or drivers you cannot expect Windows 7 to recognize the camcorder.

Monday, July 19, 2010 2:48 PM
  • Hi marcus,

Check out this link to find out taht if your camcoder is compatible with windows 7 or not.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Browse.aspx?type=Hardware&category=Cameras%20%26%20Photo&subcategory=Camcorders

If windows 7 doesnot have driver for your Sony camcoder than u can install your camcoder driver in XP compatibility mode (its a great feature of windows 7).

To install driver in XP compatibility mode follow these steps:

1. Right-click the driver installation file and choose Properties .

2. Click Compatibility tab.

3. Select Run this program in compatibility mode for .

4. Select Windows XP Service Pack 3 or below.

5. Under Privilege Level , check the Run this program as administrator box.

6. Click OK to save the settings.

Please double click the file to run it again.

Hope this will solve your problem.

Thanks

Regards

Syed Asad Bukhari

• Proposed as answer by Syed Asad Bukhari Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:22 AM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 10:22 AM
  • Hi marcus,

First, please check if this camcorder is fully compatible with Windows 7 as Rick and Syed mentioned.

In the meantime, please understand that the 1394 bus driver that is included with Windows 7 replaces the 1394 bus drivers that were included with earlier versions of Windows. See this site for details:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/connect/1394_Windows7.mspx

You can try the following steps to fix our issue, This solved my initial problems with a Maxtor III OneTouch drive. 

1- Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.
    2- Expand the "IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers" node in the device tree on the right hand pane

3- Right click the host controller node select "Update driver software ..."

4- Select "Browse my computer for driver software"

5- Select "let me pick from a list of device driver on my computer ..." and Check the box before “Show compatible hardware”.

6. Choose the second option---1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy), and click next to update the driver. 

For more information, please refer to this article: Windows 7 1394 Firewire devices not working?

Also, you can contact Sony directly to confirm if there is any solutions for this issue.

Regards,

Linda

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 6:42 AM