none
Restoring User Mailbox (Exchange 2013)

Question

• If you have a User who's mailbox was deleted (not a soft delete), then someone recreated that User account in AD which gives them a new mailbox with new messages But missing his/her old mail.  If/When recovering the old mailbox from backup and restoring the old mailbox to the new/current mailbox, will the current mailbox be overlay with the email from the old mailbox or will the current mailbox have the restored mail plus the current mail.  
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 1:06 PM

All replies

• It depends on how you restore the old mailbox. If you are reconnecting the old mailbox, it will disconnect the new one, which means any mail in that mailbox will not be available. If you're restoring the mailbox from a recovery database, the mail from the old mailbox will be imported to the new mailbox and all mail will be available. Other methods for restoring mailboxes should have the same result (export/import, and others).
    • Proposed as answer by Troy Werelius Wednesday, May 16, 2018 5:42 PM
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 3:14 PM
  • Adam is absolutely correct on this

Search, Recover, Export Mailboxes, Folders, Email, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, etc. from Offline Exchange Databases (EDBs), On-Premise Exchange Servers and Office 365. Migrate/Recover direct from any offline EDB into any On-Premises Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 → 2007 → 2010 →2013 → 2016 → Office 365 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 5:42 PM
  • Yes, I hope Adam suggestion would clarify your concern and proceed further accordingly.

Regards, Alaina Jodi Shoviv Exchange Recovery Manager

Thursday, May 17, 2018 11:21 AM
  • That's what I did I wanted to make sure. I had imported the mailbox from the recovery database to the new mailbox and It seem everything is there the recovery mail plus the mail from the new mailbox. Thx
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 6:50 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to know everything goes well after recovering from the recovery database.

If you don't mind, we'd suggest you mark the replies above as answers, so it will be easy for other community members to find the useful one/ones.

Thanks a lot for your understanding.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, May 18, 2018 3:09 AM