none
Project Professional 2010 and XP Not Opening Files RRS feed

• Question

• Good evening, we are running Project Server 2010 and our end users have Project Professional 2010 (Oct 2012 CU installed). We also have BCM currently on.

In the past two weeks, we have had users who are now unable to open schedule files using Windows XP and Project Pro 2010. It appears to work with Windows7. When the user attempts to open the file, the system thinks for about 15 seconds, and then displays a 100% blank Project1 schedule file. When you check the server - the file is checked out to the user and must be "Forced Back in".

Has anyone seen this in the past? Any idea what is going on? Is it possible that an XP patch is causing the issue. We uninstalled the Oct CU patch this morning and that did not resolve the issue. I am also have my team check to see if opening the file as an XML may solve the trick. FYI - this isn't across all files - it tends to be the larger ones. But even these arn't that large (IE - 700 lines to 3000 lines)

Thanks

Shannon

Monday, November 26, 2012 9:36 PM

All replies

• I have seen this when the server is not performing very well.  You can look at server performance for sure and see if it is lagging. The bandaid fix is to add a DWORD to the following location in the Registry using Rededit:

hkey_current_user\software\Microsoft\office\14.0\ms project\settings

It there is already a 'Timeout' DWORD entry there then it should be defaulted to 60000. I changed mine to 120000 and this addressed the issue.

If there is not a 'Timeout' value add a new DWORD and set it to 120000 and retry.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:08 AM
  • Hi,

I've also seen this behavior. From my experience in most cases XP machines are typically older hardware (CPU/Memory/Disk) and are more likely to behave like this. Project requires significant hardware resources and you may run into issues also up to date hardware with plans having less than 1000 lines, especially if you track actuals through PWA.

As Brian wrote you can workaround with higher limit for time outs, increase the Project Server and network performance. I usually copy older tasks in a second project plan to archive it and improve the performance that way.

Is this an option for you?

Renke

P.S. Did you run: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2598007

http://www.holert.com Project Management with MS Project - Oldenburg, Berlin, Munich/Germany

• Edited by Renke Holert Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:35 AM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:04 AM