system center 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting the following error when I try to join the primary site to an existing hierarchy when installing sccm on the Primary server:

specified site is not a central administration site.

the configuration as follow:

we have CAS server that is configured and we are u sing SQL instance on existing server because we want to keep them separate.

now i am trying to install sccm on the primary site

i know that it can't connect to the sql server is it because we create an instance in the sql?

here is my log:

6/20/2013 2:25:18 PM: ConfigMgrSetupWizard Information: 1 : Cannot detect SMS Type because either SiteServer, SqlServer or SiteServerName is empty.
    6/24/2013 6:30:03 AM: ConfigMgrSetupWizard Information: 1 : Creating SQL connection to database master on server servername.domain.local.
    6/24/2013 6:31:04 AM: ConfigMgrSetupWizard Error: 1 : Exception message: [A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)], Exception details: [System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(ServerInfo serverInfo, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean withFailover)

Barry

Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:15 PM

All replies

• Why have you decided to install a CAS at all? Are you going to manage more than 100.000 clients?
    Could you add some details please? Do you want to share the same SQL server? Have you added the computer account of the primary site and of the person installing the site to the local admins and SQL sysadmins on the SQL server?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:57 PM
  • Yes, because we have many sites and all the sites together have more then 100.000 clients

yes, I want to share the same sql server.

yes I add the computer account of the primary site and of the user to the local admins and it's in sql sysadmins and public.

another guy before me install the CAS how would can I check to see this server is CAS?

Thanks.

Barry

Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:24 PM
  • what other option do I have if I don't use the CAS? can I use one primary and secondaries?

Barry

Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:32 PM