none
Can't add PIN to access windows RRS feed

• General discussion

• Ever since last update I cannot use my PIN to access windows. It changed to my Microsoft password. When I go to settings to add a PIN nothing happens. I don't want to use my Microsoft password for windows access.
    Friday, April 7, 2017 9:10 PM

All replies

• 1. Log in as Administrator.

2. Locate C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Ngc 

3. Delete all the files present in Ngc Folder.

4. Now go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options

5. Try to add a new PIN.

[Note: AppData is a hidden folder]

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Saturday, April 8, 2017 1:46 AM
  • I too having the exact same problem after a fresh install of build 1703, tried your steps, folder was already empty, and still am unable to set a pin and thus any of the other features (Windows Hello, etc).

Saturday, April 8, 2017 4:42 AM
  • cannot use my PIN to access windows.

It seems there is always something different in this area.  Lately I have found that if my OSK is open on my other monitor this problem sometimes happens.  Then I have to close the OSK (provided I have my mouse available since it is on a non-Touch monitor).  Then I can open the OSK on the Touch monitor (e.g. via the Accessibility menu.)  Then I can use the PIN.  Go figure!  I keep trying to pay more attention to what is different when this happens but it is never consistent so far as I can tell.

So, why can't the Accessibility menu at least close the OSK if I try to use it when it is already open but unusable?  Also, I suspect but am not yet certain that the OSK's NumLock state may have some weird role to play in this absurd use-case.

Windows 10.  Still an Adventure ("Twisty passages, all different.")

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, April 9, 2017 4:42 AM