none
DPM 2012 SP1 Testing SharePoint Recovery RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have setup a DPM 2012 SP1 to Protect my SharePoint 2010 installation.

I want to perform a full restore test of SharePoint 2010.

So i have created a test environment that contains the following

Active Directory (Cloned from production)
    New installed 2x WFE's with the same names as in production
    New installed 1x CA with the same name as in production
    SharePoint 2010 Binaries installed only. Nothing configured.
    New installed 1x Database server as in production with the same name.

Now when i move my DPM server to the "closed" test environment and try to install the DPM agent on the servers, DPM says the servers already got the DPM agent. But the servers does not have the DPM agents installed.

Does someone have a link to a good article about testing recovery of SharePoint 2010 as it seems easy to backup but very hard to restore....

Thursday, January 3, 2013 12:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You may just need to install the DPM agents manually on the new machines and run the attach-productionserver script or run the attach process in the DPM GUI. Once the agents say OK, you can try the recovery.

In a DR scenario, for a full farm recovery to work out, SharePoint requires all the original SQL and WFE machines (with the original machine names) to be brought up and then the data be recovered. It also requires the same IIS websites + settings, custom web parts etc.,  to be present and operational so that the content that was recovered becomes available. Hence the cautionary

note "You cannot perform a full farm recovery to a new location."

For the DR scenario this is what is needed.
    1. Restore the FE and SQL machines using BMR images (might as well use DPM BMR) to bring the farm and all websites in the basic state online.
    2. Restore the content data in the databases using full farm recovery after the agents are working.

Having said that, SharePoint doesn’t restrict moving individual content data from one farm to another. Hence If you want to move content data you can always move that by:
    1. Performing alternate instance recovery of the databases to the instance you want to recover.
    2. Attaching the database to the web application in the new farm where you want to host the content using stsadm.exe.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 6:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You may just need to install the DPM agents manually on the new machines and run the attach-productionserver script or run the attach process in the DPM GUI. Once the agents say OK, you can try the recovery.

In a DR scenario, for a full farm recovery to work out, SharePoint requires all the original SQL and WFE machines (with the original machine names) to be brought up and then the data be recovered. It also requires the same IIS websites + settings, custom web parts etc.,  to be present and operational so that the content that was recovered becomes available. Hence the cautionary

note "You cannot perform a full farm recovery to a new location."

For the DR scenario this is what is needed.
    1. Restore the FE and SQL machines using BMR images (might as well use DPM BMR) to bring the farm and all websites in the basic state online.
    2. Restore the content data in the databases using full farm recovery after the agents are working.

Having said that, SharePoint doesn’t restrict moving individual content data from one farm to another. Hence If you want to move content data you can always move that by:
    1. Performing alternate instance recovery of the databases to the instance you want to recover.
    2. Attaching the database to the web application in the new farm where you want to host the content using stsadm.exe.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 6:12 PM
  • Hi Mike,

So in the DR scenario, it's a "must" to make a BMR, if i understand you correct ?

I have reinstalled the agents on the machines i created, but when i try to restore, DPM shows an error complaining about wrong Volume ID. I guess this is normal beheavior because i need to make a BMR and BMR would then create the machines with the right volume id's.

BR

René

Friday, January 4, 2013 7:02 AM
  • Hi,

I'm thinking that if you cannot restore due to the volume guid differences - then BMR backup / restore for the WFE and SQL server machines would be the quickest and easiest initial recovery method.  Once that is restored you can recover the farm using the latest recovery point from the DPM server.

Friday, January 4, 2013 6:51 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I have been able to make a BMR now in my VMWare environment. Everything seems fine but it seems that Windows is loosing the NIC configuration after a BMR restore. Is this something you noticed ?

BR

René

Monday, January 21, 2013 2:39 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, that is normal, as noted in: 249694 How to restore a  Windows installation or move it to different hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249694/EN-US

<snip>
    Note Windows Server Backup will ensure that the system will boot successfully after the BMR restore process. Applications/Roles that rely
     on hardware specific identifiers like NIC address, etc... may require additional re-configuration or recovery to make them functional.
    >snip<

Monday, January 21, 2013 11:57 PM