Time frame of partial protection RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running this peerless operating system for 12 years. I use my computer, almost exclusively, for my itunes account, word processing, and small bits and bats. I don't net surf. Will I remain reasonably protected, and for how long?

Many thanks in advance, for your best response.

Steve

Thursday, April 3, 2014 10:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

This is a hard question to answer so I will answer it based on what I would do:

XP updates will stop very soon, this essentially means that your computer will no longer receive automatic Windows updates. It does not mean that the computer will become insecure overnight, more that Microsoft will cease providing security patches for the OS.

If you are like me and have some XP machines, and maintain proper security procedures such as a firewall, and an up to date anti-virus package, and avoid web browsing then your machine should be reasonably fine for now.

The only thing that remains uncertain is if a vulnerability is found in XP at some point in the future. It is a risk but not something I loose sleep over personally.

I would recommend that you keep internet facing applications to a minimum and even go as far as to only allow the likes of itunes pass-thru in the firewall settings.

Also keep in mind that not surfing the net does not mean that you are immune from security issues and exploits. Something as simple as running a program from a USB drive, hard drive or network share with an impacted file can also pass on an exploit.

Also simple things like not choosing to "remember passwords" all help in the event of your OS becoming compromised.

For everyday browsing I would strongly recommend you have another PC running Windows 7 or higher.

Regards,

M

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

Thursday, April 3, 2014 4:14 PM