Our WSUS server hasn't synchronized since 8/24 (solved) RRS feed

• Question

• Here's the error from the WSUS server verbatim:

WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 40.77.232.92:443
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream(TransportContext& context)
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSyncWebServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncProxy.GetAuthConfig()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncLib.InternetGetServerAuthConfig(ServerSyncProxy proxy, WebServiceCommunicationHelper webServiceHelper)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncLib.Authenticate(AuthorizationManager authorizationManager, Boolean checkExpiration, ServerSyncProxy proxy, Cookie cookie, WebServiceCommunicationHelper webServiceHelper)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.SyncConfigUpdatesFromUSS()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.ExecuteSyncProtocol(Boolean allowRedirect)

So I entered the web address manually on my PC:

My browser claims the certificate is invalid.  Any help is appreciated.

• Edited by Bigun140 Tuesday, September 11, 2018 2:17 PM
    Monday, September 10, 2018 8:16 PM

Answers

• Got it.

Turns out the machine was moved over to a new network and our firewall rules were not updated.
    • Marked as answer by Bigun140 Wednesday, January 9, 2019 4:20 PM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2018 2:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

From your description, we can see that there is problem of the connection.

You need to check the following issues:
    -Check the client can connect to the WSUS: ping wsus.test.domain (replace wsus.test.domain with your own  FQDN)
    -Check the client computer is added to the AD.
    -Check the GPO of the company.

Best regards,
    Johnson
    =====================
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Johnson ZDH Tuesday, September 11, 2018 5:07 AM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2018 5:07 AM
  • To be clear:

1)  There is no issue with the clients connecting to the WSUS server, that works fine

2)  The WSUS server isn't retrieving updates from the internet, that is broken and what this post is trying to address

• Edited by Bigun140 Tuesday, September 11, 2018 1:10 PM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2018 1:09 PM
  • Got it.

Turns out the machine was moved over to a new network and our firewall rules were not updated.
    • Marked as answer by Bigun140 Wednesday, January 9, 2019 4:20 PM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2018 2:16 PM
  • Hi,

The WSUS works fine after you move to new network. If my understanding is righ, there may be some problems for the old network. You can check whether the WSUS add to the AD, and DNS ponit to the DC IP address.

Best regards,
    Johnson
    =====================
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2018 7:40 AM
  • Hi,

As far as I know, it is not only you who have this issue. It seems that some of the packages released in the 9/5 of the Office 2016 category have caused this problem. 

Microsoft has fixed this issue, and I could sync successfully in my lab now. Could you please check again in your WSUS again?

Best regards,
    Johnson
    =====================
    Wednesday, September 12, 2018 9:56 AM