August 2012 Cumulative Update RRS feed

• Question

• I have been tasked with deployment of the August 2012 Cumulative Update to my Test Farm. I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with it? I am currently running April 2012 and its smooth as silk.

Thanks in advance,

• Edited by Adam Seitz Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:32 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:23 PM

Answers

• Have not heard anything negative to date.  There were some metadata issues fixed in the June CU which aslo roll up to August '12 CU.  And the June '12 CU was buggy at first, so August seems OK.

Chris

Chris McNulty MCSE/MCTS/MSA/MVTSP | blog http://www.chrismcnulty.net/blog | twitter @cmcnulty2000 Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011

• Marked as answer by Adam Seitz Monday, September 24, 2012 5:02 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:35 PM
  • I haven't worked with any environments that have been patched to SharePoint 2010 August 2012 CU - but I'll tell you what I'm hearing internally about the release... Crickets.  Typically if there is something that has gone terribly awry with a cumulative update, we receive a considerable number of updates.

That being said - it doesn't mean that there aren't any or won't be any issues.  It just means that I haven't heard of any problems, whereas I usually do.

It's a good step to apply it to Test.  Also a good step to deploy it to an environment where you can perform proper user acceptance and regression testing before moving to production.

I'll be applying it to my environments the weekend after next, once I have some time to go through and perform some of my own testing.

Roger Cormier

Microsoft
    Premier Field Engineer, SharePoint

Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rcormier/
    Twitter: LinkedIn:

Note: My posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Edited by Roger CormierMicrosoft employee Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:02 PM Correction to patch name/level
    • Proposed as answer by Ivan-Liu Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Adam Seitz Monday, September 24, 2012 4:05 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:00 PM
  • Roger is correct - we usually only hear about problems.  There's a bizarre cadre of patching obsessed SharePoint folks (Todd Kilndt, Corne van Dyk, Penny and me, among others)...we all post the internal numbers on our blogs (mine is www.chrismcnulty.net/blog )

Usually people tell us when they have issues as a result.

Two things from my blog:

• As Roger correctly notes, please test first.
    • Second, CUs arent intended to be automatically deployed. They roll up specific fixes but don't go through as much regression testing as Service Packs.  As a result, you should have a reason for deploying - it fixes an issue - rather than just staying "in sync".

Good luck!

Chris

Chris McNulty MCSE/MCTS/MSA/MVTSP | blog http://www.chrismcnulty.net/blog | twitter @cmcnulty2000 Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:42 PM

All replies

• Have not heard anything negative to date.  There were some metadata issues fixed in the June CU which aslo roll up to August '12 CU.  And the June '12 CU was buggy at first, so August seems OK.

Chris

• Marked as answer by Adam Seitz Monday, September 24, 2012 5:02 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:35 PM
  • I haven't worked with any environments that have been patched to SharePoint 2010 August 2012 CU - but I'll tell you what I'm hearing internally about the release... Crickets.  Typically if there is something that has gone terribly awry with a cumulative update, we receive a considerable number of updates.

That being said - it doesn't mean that there aren't any or won't be any issues.  It just means that I haven't heard of any problems, whereas I usually do.

It's a good step to apply it to Test.  Also a good step to deploy it to an environment where you can perform proper user acceptance and regression testing before moving to production.

I'll be applying it to my environments the weekend after next, once I have some time to go through and perform some of my own testing.

Roger Cormier

Microsoft
    Premier Field Engineer, SharePoint

Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rcormier/
    Twitter: LinkedIn:

Note: My posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Edited by Roger CormierMicrosoft employee Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:02 PM Correction to patch name/level
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:00 PM
  • Roger is correct - we usually only hear about problems.  There's a bizarre cadre of patching obsessed SharePoint folks (Todd Kilndt, Corne van Dyk, Penny and me, among others)...we all post the internal numbers on our blogs (mine is www.chrismcnulty.net/blog )

Usually people tell us when they have issues as a result.

Two things from my blog:

• As Roger correctly notes, please test first.
    • Second, CUs arent intended to be automatically deployed. They roll up specific fixes but don't go through as much regression testing as Service Packs.  As a result, you should have a reason for deploying - it fixes an issue - rather than just staying "in sync".

Good luck!

Chris

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:42 PM
  • Thank you for the replies. I will do proper regression testing, post patching.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer this.

Monday, September 24, 2012 4:06 PM
  • I've installed the Aug2012 updates on two large well utilized farms so far and I haven't found any issues with our testing.  They have corrected some of the frustrating issues with timer jobs and the UPS error when going into managed services. 

Does anyone know if they resolved the UPS sync issue where AG displaynames were not coming back after a sync?

Thanks

Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:13 PM