Windows 7 Multi Language display name of folder RRS feed

• Question

• We have a base install of Windows 7 SP1 UK, we added multiple language packs. (French,German,Dutch)

When we switch language to Dutch, the C:\Users path is switched to C:\Gebruikers and for German to C:\Benutzer. So which language i use, the path of c:\users is always the same. No matter how i access the folder (Through c:\gebruikers or c:\benutzer)

Is it possible to create your own folder with this kind of behaviour?

So i would like to create a folder called c:\calculations, and when the dutch user logs in he can access and view the same directory with c:\berekeningen?

Is this possible?

Friday, July 20, 2012 11:11 AM

Answers

• Ok, that's some great additional info. You can use Group Policy Preferences to map a network drive, giving it a localized name and then doing so called item-level targeting based on for instance regional settings, pointing the share to the same source but presenting it in Windows Explorer with a localized name for each user.

Blogging about Windows for IT pros at www.theexperienceblog.com

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, August 3, 2012 2:00 AM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to let you know that C:\Users folder should be translated to the current language is caused by it’s the folder created by the system.

However, based my research and test, the folder created by the user will not be translated to the present language.

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 23, 2012 9:55 AM
  • i can change the folder by setting it to a system folder ( so attrib +a c:\calculations and create a desktop.ini in the folder with the following content)

[.ShellClassInfo]

LocalizedResourceName=c:\berekeningen
    IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\mydocs.dll
    IconIndex=-101

i can access the folder now the with c:\calculations or with c:\berekeningen , but what i want is when i change the language to dutch the LocalizedResourceName=c:\berekeningen and when i change it to back to english is must be LocalizedResourceName=c:\calculations.

is there any documentation how to create a multi language.dll file to make this possible?

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:16 AM
  • Hi,

The folder C:\calculations was created by you instead of system, even it has the archive file attribute. Actually, the language packs exclude the folder created by users in their libraries.

As a result, I am afraid to say that your request may be not achieve.

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 7:59 AM
  • As changing the language require a logoff to take effect I guess you could script this in a loginscript or via scheduled task triggering on event login, to replace the content of the LocalizedResourceName with whatever language setting the user have set. 

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:45 AM
  • That could be a possibility, but let me take it a level higher.

We have a Multi Language environment with a file server. there a multiple shares on-it.. for example \\server01\calculations.

so i can edit the desktop.ini with the correct LocalizedResourceName, but that makes no sense for me,because it's a shared folder and not a personal folder. So if i change the LocalizedResourceName, this will be affected for all the current sessions with that share.

I understand that it is an Utopia that i can have a share with name X and that all my users see that share with the name in their own language.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:54 AM
  • Ok, that's some great additional info. You can use Group Policy Preferences to map a network drive, giving it a localized name and then doing so called item-level targeting based on for instance regional settings, pointing the share to the same source but presenting it in Windows Explorer with a localized name for each user.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, August 3, 2012 2:00 AM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:18 AM