none
SharePoint 2010 document broken link due to unrecognized File protocol: ms-word

Question

• Please help point me in the right direction.  I checked the File association on Internet settings and document type docx is associated with Word, but it won't open.  What do I need to change?

I received the following information when I clicked on the troubleshoot link:

Windows has the following information about this Protocol. This page will help
    you find software needed to open your file.

Protocol Type: ms-word

Description: UnKnown

Windows does not recognize this Protocol.

• Edited by Jlau78 Thursday, December 11, 2014 7:31 PM grammar
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 12:21 AM

Answers

• Title:  SharePoint 2010 document broken link due to unrecognized File protocol: ms-word

Please help point me in the right direction.  I checked the File association on Internet settings and document type docx is associated with Word, but it won't open.

Try refining this symptom description.  What exactly do you mean by "it won't open"?  Answering that might explain why you are posting this in an IE forum.  E.g. right-click, Copy Shortcut whatever it is that you are calling a "broken link" and Paste it here.

Otherwise, try right-click, Save target as... to put the file into your Downloads (Ctrl-j) and then use right-click, Properties to find its full path and name.  Note that that would be quite different from what the Copy Shortcut step would have shown.

Next I suspect that the Set Associations GUI tool may not be showing you the correct information.  FWIW it certainly doesn't show me the correct information in W8.1.  So, I would try checking if you have an explicit association and file type combination by using the assoc and ftype commands in a cmd window.  In fact, instead of just showing the ftype for the current association I would use this:

ftype  |  find  /i  "word"

Then you could take the most appropriate template (not necessarily the one pointed to by the assoc command) and fill it in on a Run... dialog (or a cmd window command line if you also went back to ensure that the implied program would be found by your PathExt shell variable.)  Etc.

Doing that would make your symptom description independent of IE.  All it would have done for you is download the file.  If you couldn't open it then it would be because either the file was saved incorrectly (in which case you could rename it) or it was bad.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, December 22, 2014 5:53 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Jlau78,

Please check this configuration. Here is the path:Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations

Navigate to ms-word protocol and check its association with office.

If the issue persists ,open a .docx document in the machine to verify whether the word can work correctly.

Best regards

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 10:19 AM
  • I am using window 7.  docx points to Microsoft word.  Any other suggestions?

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 6:33 PM
  • Hi Jlau78,

"Protocol Type: ms-word

Description: UnKnown"

According to the troubleshoot link, the key point is the MS-Word protocol not the .docx. They are different.

Can you find the MS-Word protocol in this path ?

Best regards

Thursday, December 11, 2014 1:59 AM
  • Ah. Good point!  I found the protocol section, but ms-word is missing. In short, nothing I see on my end is similar to the screencapture on your first response.

• Edited by Jlau78 Thursday, December 11, 2014 7:35 PM Added screencapture
    Thursday, December 11, 2014 6:15 PM
  • Hi Jlau78,

"ms-word is missing" This seems to be the root cause.

Have you tried to open a word document in the machine to verify whether the word can work correctly ?
    I recommend you to try to fix the Microsoft Office to have a check.To fix the Microsoft Office :
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features
    Right click the Microsoft Office and choose "Change"," Repair".

If the protocol still can`t be listed ,I recommend you to look for help from the Microsoft Office Forum for help.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?category=officeitpro

Best regards

Friday, December 12, 2014 2:12 AM
  • Yes, word, excel, powerpoint, etc.  They all open and working correctly. 
    Friday, December 12, 2014 6:09 PM
  • Hi Jlau78,

What is the office version are you working with ?Have you tried to fix the office as I recommended before to have a check ?

I have made a test with Office 2010 and the MS-Word protocol is not listed in the menu when the Office is installed.But I can open a word document online in the SharePoint.

If the issue persists, reset the Internet Explorer to have a try .You will get a original settings after reset the Internet Explorer.

To reset the Internet Explorer: Tools\Internet Options\Advanced\Reset

Best regards

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 6:06 AM
  • I am using Office 2010.  I tried resetting IE and repairing Office. Neither did the trick.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 7:18 PM
  • Hi jlau78,

If the issue occurs recently and if it is possible, I recommend you to perform a system restore to recover the system to a previous normal point to have a check .

To perform a system restore:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Recovery\Open system restore

Best regards

Monday, December 22, 2014 10:54 AM
  • Title:  SharePoint 2010 document broken link due to unrecognized File protocol: ms-word

Please help point me in the right direction.  I checked the File association on Internet settings and document type docx is associated with Word, but it won't open.

Try refining this symptom description.  What exactly do you mean by "it won't open"?  Answering that might explain why you are posting this in an IE forum.  E.g. right-click, Copy Shortcut whatever it is that you are calling a "broken link" and Paste it here.

Otherwise, try right-click, Save target as... to put the file into your Downloads (Ctrl-j) and then use right-click, Properties to find its full path and name.  Note that that would be quite different from what the Copy Shortcut step would have shown.

Next I suspect that the Set Associations GUI tool may not be showing you the correct information.  FWIW it certainly doesn't show me the correct information in W8.1.  So, I would try checking if you have an explicit association and file type combination by using the assoc and ftype commands in a cmd window.  In fact, instead of just showing the ftype for the current association I would use this:

ftype  |  find  /i  "word"

Then you could take the most appropriate template (not necessarily the one pointed to by the assoc command) and fill it in on a Run... dialog (or a cmd window command line if you also went back to ensure that the implied program would be found by your PathExt shell variable.)  Etc.

Doing that would make your symptom description independent of IE.  All it would have done for you is download the file.  If you couldn't open it then it would be because either the file was saved incorrectly (in which case you could rename it) or it was bad.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, December 22, 2014 5:53 PM
    Answerer
  • I'm having the same problem in my company...people with Office 2010, have the MS-WORD protocol but people with Office 2007 don't have it. I've tried to manually add the protocol via registry but Office 2010 is using the protocolhandler.exe file (C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office14\PROTOC~1.EXE "%1") that is not present in Office 2007. Any hints?

Thanks a lot.

Monday, January 19, 2015 5:55 PM
  • Ironically, my office 2007 works in opening the word document link on sharepoint, where as the 2010 does not. However, my co-worker next door has 2010 and it works for him. So it must be something in the 2010 install. I have not had a chance to reinstall since this problem has been pushed back in priority.  But I would recommend your sys admin to reinstall MS office 2010.  Worth a try.
    Monday, January 19, 2015 11:13 PM
  • Hi Juan,

I am facing the same problem as there is no protocolhandler.exe in MS Office 2007 installation. Did you manage to fix this issue or did you upgrade to Office 2010?

Thanks

Aravind

Monday, August 10, 2015 3:34 AM
  • Hello,

If anyone else is experiencing similar, with Office 2010 SP1 there are no URL: excel, word or powerpoint protocols listed under the protocol associations in control panel. After trying various registry hacks without success, I eventually found out that installing Office 2010 SP2 adds the protocol associations. Our particular problem came to light when trying to export and open documents from Microsoft Teams in excel or word 2010, prior to the SP2 installation, nothing would open, afterwards, the documents open as expected. Below is the download link for SP2. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=39667

Thanks,

Greg.

Monday, April 16, 2018 10:30 AM