none
Share Folder with user

Question

• I have a document library and i have broken permission inheritance. No user at site level have access to that library.

That library has below folders:

• Folder1
    • Folder2

Now i want to share Folder1 with some users without giving access to them on Site Or document library but i am not able to do that.

-Manjot

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Manjot,

First, Make sure you have deactivated the “limited-access user permission lockdown mode” feature in site settings->site collection administration->site collection feature.

Second, I suggest you accessing the folder though enter the URL of the library/folder in the Address Bar. Per my test, if we access the site page directly, we will get access denied by default.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 2:51 AM
  • Yes Grace, “limited-access user permission lockdown mode” feature is deactivated. With URL user is able to access. But if i am giving access to user on a folder it should get added to top level folders as limited permissions ?

-Manjot

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 4:50 AM
  • Hi Manjot,

Yes, limited access permission level comes into play when permission inheritance is broken. This level is automatically assigned by SharePoint when you provide access to one specific item. It enables users to access a specific list, document library, folder, list item, or document, without enabling them to access the whole site.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:47 AM
  • Yes Grace, Inheritance is broken in my site also. Still it is not adding limited permission to user at parent folder. It is only adding it at library level.

-Manjot

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 8:56 AM
  • Not quite, if i remember right Limited Access is needed to see some of the SharePoint infrastructure like CSS and images. 

If that's the case then the permission would be set for the site collection, not the parent folder. That would not require/add any permission to the parent folder as they aren't included in the limited access permissions.

See if your user can access a file in the folder using a URL you send them directly. If they can then it's very likely limited access related, if they can't then there might be more going on.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 9:03 AM
  • Hi Manjot

You need to set unique permissions at the folder level too.

Please refer to the following post.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/992ef689-015b-4ab3-b437-4e2c499af621/folder-permission-in-sharepoint-2013?forum=sharepointgeneral#fc714606-6890-4329-a4da-68f302bddd51

Regards

Reshmee

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 9:59 AM