Sealing Custom MP with dependencies RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone.

Trying to understand specifics of sealing custom MP. (OpsMgr 2012 R2)

1.When i'm trying to seal my MP using MPSeal.exe. I get an error :

Attempting to seal ManagementPack file: D:\SCOM\BSPb.DA.Management.Pack.xml : Verification failed with 28 errors: ------------------------------------------------------- Error 1: Found error in 2|BSPb.DA.Management.Pack|1.0.0.0|BSPb.DA.Management.Pack|| with message: Could not load management pack [ID=Microsoft.Exchange.15, KeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, Version=15.0.663.19]. The management pack was not found in the st ore. Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.ObjectNotFoundException: An object of class ManagementPack with name Microsoft.Exchange.15 was not found. at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.AggregateStoreManagementPackManagement.GetManagementPack(String name, String keytoken, Version version) at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Configuration.ManagementPackReference.GetManagementPack()

As I understand, I need to have these 28 MPs, on which my Custom MP depends in the same folder to make proper sealing. Am I right?

2. Can I copy all these sealed MP from production SCOM server, or I need to download them one by one from site?

3. How MPs depend on each other? For instance, in future I want:

- To upgrade system MPs, on which my custom depends.

- I want to change and upgrade my custom MP .

Thanks in advance.

Friday, January 16, 2015 6:57 AM

Answers

• Hi!

ad 1: Yes, you need all the MPs available in a folder and include them using the MPSeal switch /i

Please refer to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh457550.aspx

ad 2: You're not able to export them from your SCOM Management Group (you would be able to do by PowerShell but only as unsealed XML and not as sealed MP). So you've to download them again in case you don't have them available already. But...

a) if you're using Visual Studio Authoring Extensions, you have most of them available here: C:\Program Files (x86)\System Center 2012 Visual Studio Authoring Extensions\References\

b) if you're using Silect MP Author, you have most of them available here: C:\Program Files\Silect\MP Author\ManagementPacks\

c) if you need the MPs from Microsoft Products (like Exchange above) you could find them in the following folder on the computer where you extracted the MSI you downloaded: C:\Program Files (x86)\System Center Management Packs\

ad 3: You can upgrade any MP at any time to a version number higher than the one you've in your custom MPs references (would be tricky to "downgrade" anyways :-) ). You just cannot remove a MP you're referencing in another one. In such a case you have to remove all the depending MPs either, what applies to override MPs as well.

Cheers,
    Patrick

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helped you.
    Patrick Seidl (System Center and Private Cloud)
    Blog: http://www.systemcenterrocks.com

• Marked as answer by Kerberrus Monday, January 19, 2015 7:11 AM
    Friday, January 16, 2015 1:26 PM