none
Can i mix different languages in my global master plan RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have built a stable global plan using standard templates created with project 2010 with english language settings. If these templates were used on a computer with project 2010 but with a different languge would the files be stable when linked into our existing plan?

Regards

Steve

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:47 PM

Answers

• Hello Steve and all,

To those following this thread: Steve sent me a resource pool (made in English version I understand) and a sharer file (made in the German vesion); following are the tests I performed and a possible way out.

The problem is that when I try to connect the sharer to the pool, Microsoft Project "has to close down".

In order to analyse the influence of language I did the tests in a French, a Dutch and an English environment; results were similar.

First, since I do not have the (>50) files that are connected to the resoruce pool, I disconnected all sharer files from this resource pool and saved that; then I disconnected the sharer file from its pool (a completely different file BTW) and saved it.

Guess what, when connecting this bare sharer file to the empty resource pool, "Micrososf Project has to close" - in all language versions

Tried several known tricks, the only one that allowed me to connec the sharer to the empty pool was to copy all tasks fom the sharer file and paste them in a brand new file. (that also recreates the resource). Then that new file connected to any pool all right.

Conclusion - there seems to be some "dust" in the German sharer file - maybe "dusting" it this way helps?

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by Steve.D.H Thursday, April 19, 2012 11:19 AM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 10:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

Yes, definitely. All that may happen is that you see several "versions" of the same view on your view bar, and some filters in differnt languages. But the scheduling engine will be identical and stable.

Pay attention when you use VBA, however, because View, Filter and group names may be unknown when procedures are run in a different language.

Greetings,

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:02 PM
  • Thanks for the reply,

To clarify, files with different column names (1 english & the other german) can be linked? i.e. A german project file linked to a english resource pool & master plan?

I ask this as we have had terrible trouble linking our German files to the english files. We tried sending a base template created in english to our german colleagues, they have then created a 2 line file sent it back to us to link into our resource pool, then on saving the files would crash & close without any errors not saving any changes. This is what we have experienced with many of our colleagues who have different language settings.

We have ensured we are on the same licence versions sp 1 installed etc, even down to having identical OS versions. The custom column look-up filters are set to allow additional data to be added (even though there is none on the base files). The calendars are identical etc, etc, etc.

We now have a remote app server on which we all use the same licence so this is not so much an issue other than no one can work off line if they have different langue settings. I almost wish you had said no, it would not work as we now have an unknown problem that has plagued us for 6 months now!

Regards

Steve 

Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:15 PM
  • Hi Steve,

You made me doubt. I had never done any thorough testing, but since I continuously have to mix files in English, French and Dutch and never had any specific problem, I was - and am - very optimistic.

Still, I started testing different master and pool combinations English/Dutch files. All went smoothly... except one Dutch file that refused to be anyhow integrated with the English master or  Pool. And yes, the error message is completely senseless (the acccrual method is invalid, whereas the file did not even have any resource!). So a little suspicion rests.

Why don't we try this: send me a German file that doesn't work for you, I'll do some tests with it. Maybe Dutch is more forgiving than German?

Greetings,

Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:02 PM
  • Hi,

If you want to send afile as I suggestd, the adress is jandemesATprom-ade.be

Friday, April 13, 2012 7:23 AM
  • Hello Steve and all,

To those following this thread: Steve sent me a resource pool (made in English version I understand) and a sharer file (made in the German vesion); following are the tests I performed and a possible way out.

The problem is that when I try to connect the sharer to the pool, Microsoft Project "has to close down".

In order to analyse the influence of language I did the tests in a French, a Dutch and an English environment; results were similar.

First, since I do not have the (>50) files that are connected to the resoruce pool, I disconnected all sharer files from this resource pool and saved that; then I disconnected the sharer file from its pool (a completely different file BTW) and saved it.

Guess what, when connecting this bare sharer file to the empty resource pool, "Micrososf Project has to close" - in all language versions

Tried several known tricks, the only one that allowed me to connec the sharer to the empty pool was to copy all tasks fom the sharer file and paste them in a brand new file. (that also recreates the resource). Then that new file connected to any pool all right.

Conclusion - there seems to be some "dust" in the German sharer file - maybe "dusting" it this way helps?

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by Steve.D.H Thursday, April 19, 2012 11:19 AM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 10:05 AM
  • Hello Jan,

As you know, I went through all kinds of similar (mixed dutch/english) trouble in the past years.

If I am right this sounds a little differednt - in that way, that it is all about files (both pool and shared) created using Project 2010. That's the reason why I refused transfer to the dutch version up to know.

Can I read your conclusion as 'dust in german sharer file ONLY'?

Monday, August 6, 2012 8:49 AM
  • Dag Luc,

As far as I can see, yes, it looks like a specific prpbem for that one germen file.

Groeten,

Monday, August 6, 2012 6:27 PM