Windows 7 Folder Redirect RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon,

I'm having problems folder redirection in Windows 7. In Windows XP everything is working OK. The problem I'm having is:

I'm trying to redirect to \\SERVER_Name\users$\%username%\Documents - I originally wanted to redirect just to \\SERVER_Name\users$\%username% but got the problem where the folder was being renamed to 'My Documents' due t the desktop.ini file after reading a few forum posts on here I found the Microsoft recommended work around was to redirect to a sub folder.

On Windows XP this is working fine however within Windows 7 no matter what options (I have tried them all!) the Documents folder is only ever redirected to  \\SERVER_Name\users$\%username%. There is an error in the event logs which is:  Redirection options=0x9001. The following error occurred: "Can not redirect parent into descendant".

I have tried to Bing this but I'm getting no where... does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Joe

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 12:50 PM

All replies

• Open Windows Explorer

Expand your user folders

Right-click on My Documents

Select properties

Select the Location tab

Enter the path and click the move button.

Did that work?

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 1:30 PM
  • Hello,

That gives exactly the same error message "Can not redirect parent into descendant" :'(

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 2:10 PM