How to fill table field with an arithmetical operation of fields from other two tables? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a database with several tables, this is my first time designing a database, my problem is I don't know how to fill a table field, with information from two other tables...

One of my tables is called product, in this table I have a field called stock, I would like this field to "autofill", for this table the PK is called Prod Code, I have no much knowledge about database design but I believe these would be the steps I need in order to get the calculated value I want to insert in this field:

First find the PK in another table called entrance (using select command i guess...)

then get the value of the field qty

then find the PK in other table called exit(again select command) *for these case the PK may not exist in the table

after that get the value of the field qty

Finally calculate a subtraction from the first qty minus the second and store this calculated value in the Product table in the field stock

As you see I have a general idea but no clue of how to implement it, could you please help me? Thanks a lot in advance

• Edited by r4ul90 Saturday, November 13, 2010 9:44 PM typos
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 9:42 PM

Answers