none
HIS 2010 SNA Print issues RRS feed

• Question

• We purchase a new AS400 which is running OS400 V7R1.  This AS400 is connecting to a HIS 2010 and using the print service through the SNA.  After we created a APPC session in the print service, the device can be created in AS400 automatically and start the service.   The problem is if I stop the session, it can't start forever.  The device's status is vary off in AS400.  After I delete the device in AS400, the session can be started again.  
    Friday, October 19, 2012 7:28 AM

Answers

• If you open a support case with HIS Support, I will likely be involved or at least aware of it.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:06 PM

All replies

• Have you or your AS/400 Admin checked the System Operator's (QSYSOPR) messages on the AS/400 to see if there are any messages related to the AS/400 print device that might explain why it is being varied off when you stop the print session in SNA Manager?

I assume that when the device is varied on, that you can successfully print to the Windows printer?

Also, are there any events in the Application Event log on the HIS 2010 Server around the time that you start/stop the print session?

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Friday, October 19, 2012 8:18 PM
  • After a few testing, it is confirm that it don't have any message in AS/400 or HIS.   But I found if I select "Do not format print job" in the properties of the APPC session, the printer can active.  
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 3:58 AM
  • I have tried this on my 64-bit HIS 2010 Server against an AS/400 running V7R1. I have the print session set to "Format print job". When I activate the print session, the status of the device on the AS/400 is Active. When I stop the print session in SNA Manager, the status of the device on the AS/400 changes to "Powered off or not yet available". If I start the print session in SNA Manager, the device is activated and the print session shows "Insession" in SNA Manager.

I am not able to reproduce the symptoms that you are seeing.

I did run into a problem on my 64-bit HIS 2010 Server. The Print Service terminated with an access violation when starting the print service with an AS/400 print session setup to start automatically. We have a test fix fro this that I am running.

I'm curious to know if you are using a 32-bit version of HIS 2010 because I would have expected you to see the same access violation when starting the print service if you were also activating the AS/400 print session.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:36 PM
  • Thanks for you kindly assist.  I am running Windows 2003r2 32bit.  Although I am sure if the problem you meeting is same as I meet, but I will try to run HIS in 64 bits.  I will let you know after I test in 64 bits.  Thank you.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:42 AM
  • I wouldn't try 64-bits. If you do, you will run into the problem with the Print Service terminating when trying to start the AS400 print session. This will be fixed in the next HIS 2010 Cumulative Update which is scheduled to be released sometime in November.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Thursday, October 25, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Oh...I misunderstand what you mean before.  That means it have problem in both 32bit and 64bit.  I will try again after the CU release in November.  Thank you.

Monday, October 29, 2012 8:20 AM
  • The Print Service crash (access violation) only occurs when using the 64-bit version of HIS 2010 with AS/400 print sessions.

I cannot reproduce the problem you are seeing where the print session can be started once and then it can't be started again when the print session is stopped in SNA Manager. The following is what I described previously:

I have the print session set to "Format print job". When I activate the print session, the status of the device on the AS/400 is Active. When I stop the print session in SNA Manager, the status of the device on the AS/400 changes to "Powered off or not yet available". If I start the print session in SNA Manager, the device is activated and the print session shows "Insession" in SNA Manager.

I can start and stop the session with no problems.

When you stop the print session in SNA Manager, you indicated that the device shows Varied Off. Is this the print device or the APPC controller?

Do you have any event messages in the Application event log when you try to start the print session?

We might need to see some HIS traces when you try to start the print session (with both Format Print job and Do Not Format Print Job) to see what is being sent to the AS/400 in each case.

I see the following for the print device when I stop the print session in SNA Manager when viewing the Device Status on the AS/400 (wrkdevd devicename):

When I start the session again, it goes back to Active.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Monday, October 29, 2012 1:36 PM
  • It don't have any event in the application event log.  It is because I have clear the log and make the test.  After the test, the log is still empty.  I think I need to try to trace from the HIS traces, but I know it is not easy to understand.  

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:49 AM
  • At this point, I would suggest that you open a support case so that we can investigate the issue by looking at the traces.

The other way to attack this is to talk to IBM if you have IBM support for the AS/400 as the problem may simply be a setting on the AS/400 side that results in the inability to re-activate the device. This might be the best option to start with.

I did the same steps as you with the print device being auto-created and it can be stopped and started without any issues.

How is the HIS 2010 Server connecting to the AS/400? I assume that you are using the IP-DLC link service?

Do you have any problems with 5250 display sessions when stopping and starting the display sessions?

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 1:25 PM
  • Thank you Stephen Jackson.  That's what I want.  I will open a case in IBM and Microsoft in my site for support.  

Btw, you are right.  I am using IP-DLC to connect to AS/400.   I don't know if I have problem in the 5250 display because I am using iSeries Access in my office.  

I will share how to solve my problem after I know how to solve in future.  Thank you.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:09 AM
  • If you open a support case with HIS Support, I will likely be involved or at least aware of it.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:06 PM