Office 2013 bootstrapper error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to install Office using MDT but the installation of Office just fails immediately. The OS and other applications install successfully. I get a window with the following:

------------------------------------------
    Microsoft Setup Bootstrapper
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: OfficeClassicSetup
    SETUP EXE VERSION: 15.0.4454.1000
    SETUP DLL NAME: OSETUP.DLL
    SETUP DLL VERSION: 15.0.4569.1503
    ERROR CODE: MSIInstallationFailure
    MSI HRESULT: Unspecified
    ERROR DETAILS: 30D23146
    FIRST ERROR CODE: MSIInstallationFailure
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    ------------------------------------------

Details are:
    - Office Professional Plus 2013 SP1 32-bit VL
    - Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64, captured using MDT capture task with all Windows updates as of 9/2015
    - MDT 2013 (6.2.5019.0) / ADK 8.1 / WDS running on 2012 R2 server

Troubleshooting done:
    - Re-downloaded the Office ISO to rule out potential corruption and recreated the application completely
    - Removed OCT file and only using the customization settings within the Office Products tab
    - When double clicking setup.exe on a normal OS installation completes successfully

Does anyone know why this may be happening? Thanks in advance

• Edited by crunchabit Thursday, September 10, 2015 10:36 AM Added picture
    Wednesday, September 9, 2015 2:29 PM

Answers

• Thanks guys, you were all right on the money. I had a look at the setup log in %temp% and in a nutshell it said nothing more than "another installation is running". I had a look and the domain join is done before the application install phase. This all makes sense because what Sophos does after it gets installed is immediately download the latest version and update itself. Therefore what happened was:

a. System was domain joined and at a subsequent reboot Sophos got installed
    b. Office installation started but Sophos had already started updating itself therefore occupying msiexec

What I did to resolve this was move the GPO that installs Sophos further down in the OU structure to make sure that computers that go to the default OU don't get the GPO. Then I added Sophos as an MDT app just to get the new system protected as early as possible in its life. I just wish Microsoft will equip its applications with more meaningful messages one day, I mean... just look at the screenshot above...

I then did a bit of reading and turns out there are ways to wait for msiexec to finish before starting the install but a) my solution is simple and works and b) one would think a flagship product like Office would have the smarts to handle that by itself in a nice graphical way or again say something humans can understand...

• Marked as answer by crunchabit Friday, September 11, 2015 12:29 PM
    • Edited by crunchabit Friday, September 11, 2015 12:40 PM
    Friday, September 11, 2015 12:27 PM

All replies

• Update:
    I replaced the captured Windows 7 image with an RTM version but I'm still getting the same thing. Again, double-clicking Setup.exe on the deployed (or any) OS installs Office successfully.

The MDT error log says "Unexpected return error 1618"

Thursday, September 10, 2015 11:16 AM
  • Is there another program installing RIGHT before Office? If that program is not finished then Office will throw an error.. 
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 12:54 PM
  • Not as far as I can tell? I have only two apps in the task sequence and Office is the first one.
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 1:02 PM
  • Any anti-virus software on these machines?
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 1:05 PM
  • Sophos Endpoint Security and Control gets installed from a domain startup script but if I'm not mistaken the system is not yet joined at that stage so there shouldn't be any AV
    • Edited by crunchabit Thursday, September 10, 2015 1:21 PM
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 1:20 PM
  • I've searched the forums and found this

Please try remove the file

- C:\Users\AppData\Local\Temp\Hx752D.tmp

and run setup again.

If that doesnt work can you upload the log files?

Thursday, September 10, 2015 4:09 PM
  • Add logging to your application.  Can you deploy with only Office installing?  The error you're getting is that another install is in progress, which usually only happens if it sees msiexec.exe already running.
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 6:56 PM
  • As MrBrooks says 1618 is another install is currently in progress.  You have a malformed command line for a previous application install OR your domain join scripts are installing something.

Most important details are logs. If you are unsure how to post logs or where to find them then reference https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/

• Proposed as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Thursday, September 10, 2015 11:31 PM
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 8:15 PM
  • Office setup creates a fairly detailed logfile at %temp%, so check that too.

Don

Thursday, September 10, 2015 9:33 PM
  • Thanks guys, you were all right on the money. I had a look at the setup log in %temp% and in a nutshell it said nothing more than "another installation is running". I had a look and the domain join is done before the application install phase. This all makes sense because what Sophos does after it gets installed is immediately download the latest version and update itself. Therefore what happened was:

a. System was domain joined and at a subsequent reboot Sophos got installed
    b. Office installation started but Sophos had already started updating itself therefore occupying msiexec

What I did to resolve this was move the GPO that installs Sophos further down in the OU structure to make sure that computers that go to the default OU don't get the GPO. Then I added Sophos as an MDT app just to get the new system protected as early as possible in its life. I just wish Microsoft will equip its applications with more meaningful messages one day, I mean... just look at the screenshot above...

I then did a bit of reading and turns out there are ways to wait for msiexec to finish before starting the install but a) my solution is simple and works and b) one would think a flagship product like Office would have the smarts to handle that by itself in a nice graphical way or again say something humans can understand...

• Marked as answer by crunchabit Friday, September 11, 2015 12:29 PM
    • Edited by crunchabit Friday, September 11, 2015 12:40 PM
    Friday, September 11, 2015 12:27 PM