none
Migration from Project 2003 to 2010 via 2007...Split and Merge? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are upgrading from Project 2003 to 2010 via 2007 VME. We have around 5000 projects, and to speed up the process and reduce the downtime, can we "split the migration and run on two VMEs", and then "merge these two 2007 projects sets into one final 2010" environment? What is the best way to achieve this? Please suggest.

Regards,

Kishore Dodda

Kishore Dodda
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 1:40 AM

Answers

All replies

• Before you go that route, have you identified the bottleneck? Typically its disk I/O so why not run the VME on a Solid State Drive for instance?

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 3:58 AM
  • Good Thought. I have not thought about it, as a general rule, if I can split the process into 2 or 3, then I can reduce the time accordingly...per say, I have 5000 projects and its taking about 1 minute for a project (on an average), then it will take 5000 minutes, and if there is a way to split it 3 pieces, then I can acheive the whole migration in 1/3 rd of the time...

So, thought of checking if there is any such feature/option...to merge...

splitting is easy, split the list of projects and run on different VMs...but dont know how to merge into single Project 2010 server.

Please suggest.

Regards,

Kishore Dodda.

Kishore Dodda
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 4:47 AM