none
Migrating non-co-located data to co-located RRS feed

• Question

• Previously we had DPM2007SP1, but last year we migrated to DPM2010. Since we had our protection groups defined in 2007 data was not co-located, although that's a possibility of DPM 2010. As we have a LOT of volumes on the DPM-server, we wanted to migrate so we don't run into problems when reaching too many volumes.

So I did as described in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399045.aspx and http://www.itwalkthru.com/2011/01/how-to-move-server-to-different-group.html.
    In the old protection group, I selected a few virtual machines (Hyper-V backups), chose "stop protection of member" but retained the recovery points on disk. In a new (co-located) protection group I browsed to the Hyper-V servers and added these VM's, assigning enough storage to the new, co-located volumes.
    As expected the disk space used by the old recovery points wasn't released immediately, so we're tight on free disk space for DPM. But as soon as the old recovery points expire, this disk space should become free again and DPM only uses the co-located volumes.

In the old protection group, the VM's had a recovery period of 10 days, and no backup to tape. But now, after over 14 days, the storage of the old recovery points still isn't returned as DPM is still tight on free disk space.

The old protection group still exists (with some other VM's and files) as there isn't enough storage to move ALL data (and to allocate the double amount of diskspace temporarily) from this protection group at once.

Do I need to run some kind of clean-up or consolidate command? Why isn't DPM returning the storage as free disk space? Did I do something wrong when moving/migrating the protection of those VM's? Or lies the problem in the fact the old protection group still exists, (although covering other servers)?

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 9:39 AM

Answers

• Hi

<snip>
    In the old protection group, I selected a few virtual machines (Hyper-V backups), chose "stop protection of member" but retained the recovery points on disk.
    >snip<

Recovery point for inactive protection groups never expire, you must delete the inactive PG before the disk space will be freed.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 4:18 PM