none
Setting up two categories of resource costs RRS feed

• Question

• I want to set up to two categories of cost resources for my project; 1. eligible costs and 2. ineligible costs

I am then looking to create a Visual report that will allow me to include or exclude the ineligible costs through the selection of the pivot table fields.

I have tried to do this using custom fields but I am struggling.  Is there a simpler way of doing this?

Thanks  Simon

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Simon,

How are you struggling? Using a resource custom field or even the default GROUP field should allow you seggregating elligible and inelligible costs in MS Project (resource usage view) or in visual reports.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Thursday, June 29, 2017 6:49 AM
  • Hi,

You could enter your custom values in the Resource Initials column. Its one of three Resource columns that are visible in the Gantt Chart. You can then use Grouping (View tab) to report.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book and VBA developer.
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Thursday, June 29, 2017 7:32 AM
  • Rod, Guillaume,

Thanks for your replies.  I have tried your solutions but I can find a way of getting the Group or Custom Fields to appear in the Pivot Table in the Visual Report.

I can filter the grouped tasks in the View Tab.  I go to Report > Visual Report >Edit Template and add the custom fields > Edit Template to close.  However once the pivot table is created I cannot find any reference to the custom fields or groups.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Thursday, June 29, 2017 11:48 PM
  • Indeed I remember this issue with visual reports, not being able to add a custom field in the Excel extract. 

If you have MS Project 2013 or 2016, I'd rather suggest to use the report tab. This definitely works with custom fields.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Friday, June 30, 2017 6:33 AM