none
Assigned Access is not working post sysprep - win10 1703 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am building a windows image, and I am finding that post sysprep (with generalize switch), assigned access does not work. 

Every time I sign into the account that is setup for assigned access, I get brought back to the sign-in page.

I have a kiosk user setup as the assigned access user and I am using windows calculator as the assigned app.

I am able to take that kiosk user out of assigned access and sign into the account and open the calculator app.

I have tried creating a new account and that has the same issue. Every time you sign into the assigned access account, you are brought back to the sign in page.

Please advise as this is a major issue.

Win10 Build 1703

Monday, October 2, 2017 2:57 PM

All replies

• Look at this similar case for some ideas

Assigned Access Issues w/ Window 10

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3v69gb/assigned_access_issues_w_window_10/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 2:04 AM
  • Thanks for the link.

This seems like a completely different issue.

I have taken a factory Acer machine on win10 build 1607, upgraded to build 1703 online, created 3 local users. Verified assigned access works w/ the windows calculator app, sysprep the machine and assigned access user kicks you right back to the log in screen.

Note: This is before even installing any custom apps. I am using windows built in apps to test the function. It appears that something within the latest win10 1703 updates has broke this.

I am running some remove app packages via powershell so I am able to run sysprep.exe.

Remove-AppxPackage Microsoft.Messaging_3.19.1001.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Remove-AppxPackage 89006A2E.AutodeskSketchBook_1.6.0.0_x64__tf1gferkr813w
    Remove-AppxPackage 58539F3C.LexmarkPrinterHome_3.0.73.0_neutral__xyj5e99tmxdva
    Remove-AppxPackage 89006A2E.AutodeskSketchBook_1.6.0.0_x64__tf1gferkr813w
    Remove-AppxPackage KeeperSecurityInc.Keeper_10.3.2.0_x64__kejf07qmg0jnm
    Remove-AppxPackage A278AB0D.MarchofEmpires_2.6.1.1_x86__h6adky7gbf63m
    Remove-AppxPackage king.com.BubbleWitch3Saga_3.2.7.0_x86__kgqvnymyfvs32
    Remove-AppxPackage Microsoft.BingNews_4.21.2212.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Remove-AppxPackage Microsoft.MinecraftUWP_1.1.500.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Remove-AppxPackage A278AB0D.MarchofEmpires_2.7.0.13_x86__h6adky7gbf63m
    Remove-AppxPackage king.com.BubbleWitch3Saga_3.3.2.0_x86__kgqvnymyfvs32
    Remove-AppxPackage king.com.CandyCrushSodaSaga_1.98.500.0_x86__kgqvnymyfvs32
    Remove-AppxPackage Microsoft.MinecraftUWP_1.2.101.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Remove-AppxPackage KeeperSecurityInc.Keeper_11.0.0.0_x64__kejf07qmg0jnm
    Remove-AppxPackage KeeperSecurityInc.Keeper_11.0.1.0_x64__kejf07qmg0jnm

Note: if I do not run these powershell commands, sysprep fails to run.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 11:58 AM
  • Looks like uninstalling KB4040724 fix's the issue with assigned access. 

So overall, if this KB is on the machine prior to running sysprep, assigned access mode is broke.

If you uninstall this KB, assigned access works fine.

• Edited by vs2017sv Wednesday, October 4, 2017 11:59 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Amit Jain MS Monday, October 23, 2017 6:25 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Amit Jain MS Monday, October 23, 2017 6:26 PM
    Tuesday, October 3, 2017 8:30 PM
  • Ok, an valuable discovery, I will submit this case to Microsoft.

For Store apps issue, have your tried WSReset.exe and re-register Store PowerShell command?

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 1:26 AM
  • I would like to provide you with more details as I have spent a good amount of time discovering this issue.

Hopefully we can get this into to MS engineering and they can resolve the issue.

In my testing, I was attempting to sysprep a machine and assign access to the windows calculator app.

So, I took a brand new desktop computer which came with win10 build 1607 on it.

1) I was able to sysprep this machine offline and assigned access works (no windows updates were installed).

2) I took another brand new PC (same model), upgraded windows 10 1703 via windows updates, which ended up on KB/Build# KB4040724 (OS Build 15063.632). I then syspreped the machine, and assigned access no longer works. You can manually launch the calculator app in the kiosk user (assigned access user), but you get bounced back to the sign in screen when you set assigned access to this user and sign in.

3) I then took another brand new PC (same model), ran all updates and sypreped the machine. Assigned access would not work again. So I uninstalled KB4040724. Once uninstalling this KB, assigned access still would not work. I then ran check for updates. Windows updates found one update and it was KB4038788 (OS Build 15063.608). Once this update applied and I rebooted, assigned access works fine. I continued to check for windows updates and windows is no longer finding KB4040724.

I then went to the windows update catalog and manually downloaded and applied KB4040724. Rebooted and assigned access is still working - good news!

So in conclusion, as I stated previously.. if KB4040724 is installed on the machine and sysprep is ran, assigned access does not work. I am not sure why windows no longer manually finds KB4040724 once it has been uninstalled.

This is a pretty major issue for those who are building images and attempting to use MS assigned access.

I hope MS engineering can get on top of this and provide us with some type of feedback or when a fix will be released.

Hope the information helps!

Thanks

Thursday, October 5, 2017 12:00 PM
  • So to keep this post alive, I went ahead and did some more testing with Window's latest KB - KB4041676.

I took a brand new machine out of the box, ran all windows updates. So the machine went from 1607 to 1703.

I applied the latest security patch's which included KB4041676.

I then syspreped the machine.

Assigned access is broke.

I uninstalled KB4041676 and assigned access works. Re-installed KB4041676 and assigned access is still working.

Thursday, October 12, 2017 11:53 AM
  • Hi vs2017sv

When you observe Assigned Access is not working, i.e. it kicks you back to log on screen after you sign in, can you grab some Assigned Access related events and share it out? 

You can check out this page, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/partnerapps/create-a-kiosk-app-for-assigned-access, at the bottom, there are some ETW providers that you can check, copied here for you reference,

1. Open Event Viewer. There are two likely places to find activation errors.
    2. In the Event Viewer (Local) pane, expand Windows Logs, and then click Application.
    3. Also, in Event Viewer (local), expand Applications and Services Logs, expand Windows, expand Apps, and then click Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational.

Monday, October 23, 2017 6:24 PM
  • Hi vs2017sv

When you observe Assigned Access is not working, i.e. it kicks you back to log on screen after you sign in, can you grab some Assigned Access related events and share it out? 

You can check out this page, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/partnerapps/create-a-kiosk-app-for-assigned-access, at the bottom, there are some ETW providers that you can check, copied here for you reference,

1. Open Event Viewer. There are two likely places to find activation errors.
    2. In the Event Viewer (Local) pane, expand Windows Logs, and then click Application.
    3. Also, in Event Viewer (local), expand Applications and Services Logs, expand Windows, expand Apps, and then click Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational.

I found that this is also a issue with Win10 1709 .iso.

This is a real simple one that MS can re-create using their own built in app (Calculator).

I will post the logs ASAP.

Take the latest Win10 1709 .iso

Keep the machine offline

Create 3 user's (2 admin, 1 standard kiosk user).

Run sysprep.exe - generalize.

Post sysprep try and assign, "Assigned Access" to kiosk user.

You will see, assigned access does not work and you are kicked back to a sign in screen.

This is not a issue with "Our" app as I am testing using the windows built in calculator app in assigned access.

When not in assigned access, the calculator app opens fine.

I applied all window's updates and assigned access is still broke post sysprep.

Please advise.

-

-

-

-

Note: TwinUI has the following event logged.

EventID: 105

The description for Event ID 105 from source Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

The message id for the desired message could not be found

The description for Event ID 105 from source Microsoft-Windows-Immersive-Shell cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

The message id for the desired message could not be found

• Edited by vs2017sv Tuesday, October 31, 2017 12:28 PM
    Tuesday, October 31, 2017 11:44 AM
  • Same situation for me with 1903....
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:13 PM