downgrading from windows vista home premium to xp pro sp2 RRS feed

• Question

•  

ok i got a question for everyone here that reads these forums including the big wig microsoft guys lol i own a toshiba satellite a210-a215 series laptop it come stock with windows vista home premium on it and im more of an xp guy myself my question is more or less is it possible to downgrade my operating system back to xp pro sp2 i allready have a full cd of xp cause my desktop pc uses xp. i have been told more or less that it is not possible to do but i have been told by other people that you can do it so what is the answer can it be done or not????????? the xp cd i have is a corp. version of xp pro sp2 i got the key and everything and it is genuine and the laptop i have has vista home premium can i basically redo the partition and put xp on this laptop ??????? someone please answer and help me lol
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 7:41 AM

Answers

•  

Hi All,

Thank you for the posts.

To Etrain1388, I have performed a research on the Dell website and found Windows XP is supported by your Dell Inspiron 1520. I have included the following link for your reference:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WW1&osl=EN&catid=-1&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1520&hidos=WLH&hidlang=en

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

On this site, we can see Dell provides both Windows XP and Windows Vista 32bit drivers for the laptop of this model. Therefore, we can infer Windows XP can be installed on your computer. You can also contact Dell for detailed information.

To angerdomain, please let me know the exact model of your computer, and I will try to perform a research for you. You can also contact Toshiba for detailed information. Thank you for your understanding.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:48 AM

All replies

• Hi angerdomain

Please check this previous answer of mine

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2525296&SiteID=17

Regards

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 9:30 AM
  •  

ok that don't really tell me anything right there at all cause more or less i need to know for a fact if i can take windows vista home premium off this laptop and put xp pro sp2 corp. on it. i have read many other forums saying you can't do it but i have talked to some people that have done it so basically the link that was provided in the reply to my original post was kinda helpfull but it did not answer my question it just beat around the bush basically lol can someone out there answer with a yes or no answer on this or what? will it work ? can i install xp on a vista home premium computer and get rid of vista once and for all?
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 7:59 PM
  •  

The answer is yes, as I answered to the asker in above link. And he was successful that he accepted the answer. Also I have done it many times. But notebook companies do not release drivers for xp for some new Notebooks so first check if XP drivers exist for your notebook

Regards

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 9:42 PM
  • If you write me the exact model of your notebook, I can check if drivers exist. Remember, If drivers do not exist, you may not even be able to install XP because XP may not recognize your HDD and may require controller drivers (that you supply in a floppy at F6)

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 8:32 AM
  • i am in the same boat as the first post, i have a notebook with vista home premium and wish to downgrade to xp professional, i have an xp install disk and would like to know exactly how i would proceed.

it is a dell inspiron 1520 with 2gb of RAM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 8:56 PM
  •  

Hi All,

Thank you for the posts.

To Etrain1388, I have performed a research on the Dell website and found Windows XP is supported by your Dell Inspiron 1520. I have included the following link for your reference:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WW1&osl=EN&catid=-1&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1520&hidos=WLH&hidlang=en

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

On this site, we can see Dell provides both Windows XP and Windows Vista 32bit drivers for the laptop of this model. Therefore, we can infer Windows XP can be installed on your computer. You can also contact Dell for detailed information.

To angerdomain, please let me know the exact model of your computer, and I will try to perform a research for you. You can also contact Toshiba for detailed information. Thank you for your understanding.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:48 AM
  •  

i tried it and found some drivers and did get xp to install ok but the only driver i could not find was the video driver but its all good i went back to vista i guess i will just learn how to use vista instead lol
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 5:57 AM
  • Dear All,

Hi This is Shivaleela and I have bought new HP laptop i.e HP Pavilion dv6725ee Notebook PC which comes with Vista Home Premium but i want to downgrade it to Windos XP Pro SP2 so could anybody please tell me will there be any problem if i install XP on my notebook.

Please send me your feedbacks

Regards

Shivaleela

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 11:24 AM
  • Sorry to barge in like this but I would wish to get information about reverting my LENOVO Z61m from VISTA Home Premium back to WIN XP Pro. I have my original XP installation disk. If I just reformat de HDD and do a clean XP install, do you think I'll have all these driver problems people are talking about? I do not have a SATA drive installed.There are Canal IDE [Controller] (3x)
    Contrôleur Serial ATA standard AHCI 1.0 [Controller]
    Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF

113.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    83.99 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4082N ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

TOSHIBA MK1234GSX [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 473OT2DHT, rev AH002E,
    SMART Status: Healthy...

Do you think this revert can be done? Do I need to hunt for drivers?

pideja

Montreal

Friday, June 20, 2008 12:44 PM
  • Dear MrHusy....

I have purchased HP pavillion dv 2632 tx laptop with vista loaded on it.

But i really facing truble now. I have some engineering software which was working best with xp but with vista, i cant operate or install them.

so, i wish to downgrade my laptop to windows xp.

can u please advise me regarding this issue?

I have gone through hp customer service help and rest.

Thanks

Tejash

Friday, June 27, 2008 2:57 PM