Drive letter and mount points before cluster creation RRS feed

• Question

• Scenario:
    Win2k8r2 Failover Cluster with 2 nodes.

Storage is available from SAN.
    Witness: MNS Share on file server

I'm creating a SQL 2008 R2 Cluster that uses Mount Points.

Is it nessesary to do the following before i can create the Cluster and add the disks:

Node 1: Bring the Disk online in Disk Management
    Node 1: Ensure the disk has appropriate drive letter, and you can access the disk/files
    Node 1: Bring the Disk offline in Disk Management

Node 2: Bring the Disk online in Disk Management
    Node 2: Ensure the disk has appropriate drive letter, and you can access the disk/files
    Node 2: Bring the Disk offline in Disk Management

I'm told that if i don't ensure that the disk has the appropriate drive letter and mount points before i add it to the cluster, i can get into trouble.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 2:12 PM

Answers

• The disk(s)  must be formatted (NTFS).  Drive letters are good since Clustering will pick them up and make them available across the cluster.

You only need to bring the disk(s) online on one node for formatting.  It does not matter which node.  You can change the drive letters and mount points on any node and the information propagates clusterwide. 

Under Windows 2003/2003R2, mountpoints had to be done on an individual node basis.  Windows 2008/2008R2 moved the mountpoint data into the cluster registry so it is persistent across nodes.

Geoff N. Hiten Principal Consultant Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    • Proposed as answer by JohnToner Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by RFalken Friday, November 19, 2010 5:48 AM
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 3:08 PM

All replies

• The disk(s)  must be formatted (NTFS).  Drive letters are good since Clustering will pick them up and make them available across the cluster.

You only need to bring the disk(s) online on one node for formatting.  It does not matter which node.  You can change the drive letters and mount points on any node and the information propagates clusterwide. 

Under Windows 2003/2003R2, mountpoints had to be done on an individual node basis.  Windows 2008/2008R2 moved the mountpoint data into the cluster registry so it is persistent across nodes.

Geoff N. Hiten Principal Consultant Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    • Proposed as answer by JohnToner Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by RFalken Friday, November 19, 2010 5:48 AM
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 3:08 PM
  • It is not an absolute requirement, but is a pretty good idea to verify that you can see the disks properly on all nodes before attempting to create the cluster. Personally, I would always perform this test before attempting to cluster.

Visit my blog about multi-site clustering - http://msmvps.com/blogs/jtoner
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:07 PM
  • @JohnToner: That is the same assumption my collegues have. But as SQLCraftsman is saying it was something we did under Win2k3.

The issue i have on hand right now is a working 2 node cluster.

I need to remove one of my nodes to change to more powerfull hardware. Then they argue that we cannot do this while the cluster is online as we "need" to make the SAN disks available to the new host and then make the local mountpoints and drive letters. Then bring the cluster online again.

This would cause downtime to the cluster, and i want to avoid this, of course not at all cost.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:39 PM
  • Geoff is correct for W2K8R2 WSFC. Basic steps

1. Evict the node

2. Unpresent disks from SAN for evicted node

3. Build new node on new hardware

4. present disks to new server (no need to bring them online etc)

5. Add node to existing cluster

6. Install cluster apps on new node if required

Friday, November 19, 2010 4:58 AM