none
Basic Questions on FAST RRS feed

• Question

• 1. When FAST indexes content, the created index, where is it stored? is it stored inside of SQL Server or on file system?

2. I intend to have 3 index servers (M4 configuration from the capacity planning document). I don't have a SAN. So does this mean each index server will need to have 2000 - 3000 IOPS

3. Microsoft capacity planning document does not say how much load FAST puts on the SharePoint Content DB when it starts indexing the content. How much IOPS extra should we put on the SharePoint content DB so that FAST can index the content smoothly?

Monday, September 6, 2010 7:44 AM

Answers

• 1.Both

2.Yes

3. I would follow the capacity planning guide for regular SharePoint search for guide lines regarding crawling loads on Content DB's.

certdev.com
    • Marked as answer by MSDN Student Thursday, September 9, 2010 10:09 AM
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 8:32 PM

All replies

• 1.Both

2.Yes

3. I would follow the capacity planning guide for regular SharePoint search for guide lines regarding crawling loads on Content DB's.

certdev.com
    • Marked as answer by MSDN Student Thursday, September 9, 2010 10:09 AM
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 8:32 PM
  • Hello MSDN Student,

Answers to your questions are as following.

1. FAST Indexes are Stored on File System. SQL Contains only Configuration Information & Information about Managed and Crawled Properties.

2.  Yes

3.  This is depending on how hard you crawl the content, which again is depending on how you set up the content farm (e.g. exposing dedicated web front ends for crawling, network bandwidth etc.). Main impact in content DB IOPS is thus the crawl rate, and not whether you use FS4SP or Search Server. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vijgang/archive/2010/04/26/how-to-configure-a-dedicated-web-front-end-for-crawling-in-sharepoint-2010.aspx

Reagrds,

Hiran
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 12:31 PM
  •  

The server sizing is done based on the assumption of 40 million records. The average size of document might be 800 KB and the indexed data might be some 75 TB.

As per FAST capacity planning, for 40 million items with 100kb average size, the number of indexed servers is 3.

what is the maximum hard disk capacity for each index servers can handle? 

In the standard requirements it is found to be 1 TB. Whether we can extend this to more than 25 TB without affecting the performance?

Or we need huge number of index servers?

Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:56 AM