Outlook won't display user photos on received emails from a few AD users RRS feed

• Question

• We are running exchange 2016 along with outlook 2016.  We load associate photos in AD and use them for Exchange, Skype for Business and SharePoint.  The issue that we are seeing is when specific users send an email their photo is not displayed in the contact card within the recipients outlook.  

If I right click where the picture should be and "open outlook properties"  the contact card opens in a new window and I can see the photo.  I am not sure where to go from here as the picture shows up correctly in SFB and SharePoint.  Exchange is also caching the correct picture in "Exchange Server\V15\ClientAccess\photos\_company-F6C3D07B498ACE586C25E05BE1166D08\HR96x96" folder.  

I should mention that for one of the users that we are seeing the issue with, we removed the picture from AD and added it back but the issue remains.  Also,  the Thumbnailphoto attribute is set to type "Indicator" in the OAB.  The photos for these users were showing up at one point then all of the sudden people started noticing that they weren't showing anymore.

• Edited by reynolds131 Friday, April 5, 2019 6:58 PM title change
    Friday, April 5, 2019 2:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Given this situation, it is suggested to exit Outlook desktop client and see if the issue can be reproduced on the web mail.

Besides, please try configuring the email account of the user who has no problem to the Outlook of the user in question then see the result.

Any update, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, April 8, 2019 8:10 AM
  • When I look at the same received emails from people who I can't see photos for in outlook appear fine in web mail.  I haven't been able to find a user who is able to see these specific user photos in their outlook.  It appears no one in the company can see the photo of these certain photos within outlook.
    Monday, April 8, 2019 12:28 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Please start your Outlook in online mode and see if this issue still persists.

Besides, please ask these specific users to send a message to themselves and see if their photos will be displayed in their Outlook.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 6:25 AM
  • Running outlook in cached or online mode returns the same results.  I have also had the users send themselves a test message and they are unable to see their photo as well. 

For one of the users I have tried to completely remove the photo in AD and wait a few days for it to clear out of exchange and SFB.  Once that happened the photo for that user was back to the default silhouette placeholder in the email header.  Upon adding the photo back into AD and waiting for exchange to pick it back up, the photo in the header went back to being blank.

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 2:15 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

Has this user previously loaded associated photos in Exchange? Or uploaded photos in AD himself?

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Friday, April 12, 2019 9:02 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got your issue fixed?

Please feel free to post back if you need further assistance on this.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Friday, April 26, 2019 9:52 AM