none
Old PRN2File (DOS) Utility

Question

• PRN2File is an old, old TSR print re-director from the DOS days.  With it, you are able to capture any, and all, output from old DOS program (ex. WordPerfect) to a text file.  The capture is going to LPT1:

I am now running a Windows 10 laptop.  If I login as a local user, I can load PRN2File, load WP, print a file, exit WP, then unload PRN2File, and the output would be in a specific text file.  That's perfect!  

However, if I login to our domain, and do all that again, the PRN2FILE does load (or at least, it says it loads), then in WP, I print the file.  No errors appear.  Now, I try to exit WP, and I get a WP warning saying the file hasn't finished printing.  When I check the status of the printer within WP, it's still trying to connect to the printer.  I can exit WP if I tell it "cancel the print job".  The system is NOT hung.  Then, when I unload PRN2File, there's nothing in the text file.

Since everything works outside the domain on Windows 10, I'm assuming it's not a hardware issue.  Since it's only happening while connected to the domain, I'm assuming it may be part of a group or local policy.  It may be something else, I just don't know what it could be.  So, any help would be much appreciated.  If you think it's something else, what could I try?  Do you know of any group policies that may affect this?  Realize, my group policies are probably all "Not Configured".  The domain is very, very simple.  Thanks in advance!

Friday, March 24, 2017 4:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    As far as I know, it seems that there is no such group policy relating to this problem.
    And in my opinion, PRN2File is a third party program that provides a means of redirecting print jobs to file(s). maybe, you need to contact its support and check if it can work in a domain environment. Alternatively, you could check if the version of PRN2File is too old, maybe, it might need to be upgraded.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, March 27, 2017 1:49 AM
  • > PRN2File is an old, old TSR print re-director from the DOS days.  With it, you are able to capture any, and all, output from old DOS program (ex. WordPerfect) to a text file.  The capture is going to LPT1:

Is your domain user a local admin? AFAIK hooking LPT1 requires admin rights...

Monday, March 27, 2017 9:46 AM
  • The user wasn't, but is now.  That didn't make any difference.
    Monday, March 27, 2017 11:21 AM
  • Thanks Wendy, but unfortunately, that's not possible.  Technically, it was a 3rd party app.  More directly, it was a guy.  His latest version is pre-1990.  Understand though, the app still works just fine up to and until you a) connect to a domain and b) login as a domain user.  As long as you're local, even in Windows 10 32-bit, you're good to go.

The problem points to domain permissions and/or domain policies.

Monday, March 27, 2017 2:27 PM
  • To clarify, the user is now a domain admin, domain user, and a local administrator.  The UAC is turn all the way down.  None of this makes a difference.
    Monday, March 27, 2017 2:29 PM
  • Hi,
    If domain admin and local admin both could not work, I am afraid that there is no such “policy setting” which could restrict the two power accounts.
    For me, it seems to be a compatible problem between PRN2File with ADDS, you might need to confirm if it could work in a domain environment from PRN2File support aspect.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 2:32 AM